asbestos story

Man at B&Q

And that makes it better how??

Reply to
Dave

A relative of mine worked in his earlier life for Westland helicopters, who of course no longer existed when he found he had been affected with asbestos while working on the wiring looms in cramped spaces with no protection. No sod at the company now owning the company would give him any compensation, and most of the work was for government contracts too, no joy there either. He died in his fifties and was on oxygen for his last three years. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Genesis 6:3 +1 ;-)

Reply to
Graham.

walked under a ladder and - you've guessed it - forty three years later he died

Reply to
Phil L

Supposedly kills 6 electricians a week.

It's the claim that they know which bit of asbestos killed him that I do not like. He was 82. He probably played with the stuff when he was of school age.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It doesn't make it better at all, but he was a surgeon who was exposed to it once in 81 years. There were thousands of people worked at asbestos factories for decades who never developed it at all and a very small percentage of workers did.

What's the chances?

reading between the lines, he got his chums at hospital to say it's asbestos related so that his family can get a fat payout when he croaks, I mean, what surgeon on the equivalent of £180K a year does his own boiler removals? - yes he might put the odd lampshade up but doing jobs that involve getting covered in s**te or sweating get delegated to someone on far less money

Reply to
Phil L

Or wandered through the dust from the pipe lagging being removed at a hospital he worked at or said dust entered the ventilation system. There are a fair number of similar cases. The telling story is at the end of the article, two people one with much higher exposure than the other and the lower exposure person is the one with mesothelioma...

Time will tell if spending several years working in a studio block built of asbestos panels, that had monitoring equipment installed and everything gained a thin layer of grey dust after a few days will have any affect on me. Will mesothelioma or the Parkinson's get me first?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well I could easily afford to get people in for most things. Indeed, doing so would probably allow me to work enough extra hours to actually be in profit! However, there is great satisfaction in doing things yourself.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

don't you remember Rawlplastic? used for filling irregular holes in walls before fixing a screw. It was nearly all asbestos fibres.

Reply to
charles

yep. I used top put it in my hand and spit on it to get it to work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If one exposure of asbestos fibres is enough all of us over 40 odd would be dead. train brakes, truck and car brakes ,were spewing fibres everywhere millions of houses were covered with the stuff, hospitals lagged pipes everywhere with it, fire blankets,etc

Reply to
F Murtz

Perhaps you'll get mauled by a lion :)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

On the basis that Parkinson's isn't a direct killer, something secondary is the normal cause of a Parkinson's related death (fall, infection). Then I'd put the mesothelioma marginally above the lion.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would not wish either on anyone. What's the odd's on getting mauled to death by a lion suffering from mesothelioma.

And if you ever want to see an apprentice get a real bollocking then come and watch me if they do not follow the asbestos rules.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You'd be surprised. I have run across quite a few highly-paid professional men who like to turn their hands to a spot of diy. Sometimes, they're just a bit tight, though and are looking to save a few quid. Might be the wife or mistress is spending like a drunken sailor, of course.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Beats me how they manage on £180K. They must have to be tightarses.

Reply to
brass monkey

I don't know any consultant or surgeon who thinks they make decent money, they're too busy complaining about the GPs they trained with who now make twice as much.

Reply to
Andy Dingley