Asbestos - Something to think about

"Ian Stirling" wrote | How easy it Artex to apply?

Terribly easy. My own flat was done by a blind rabid chimpanzee high on crack cocaine (I would judge by the result).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Do you know where I can get Artex with asbestos then?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

:) I think the reason for its popularity was that no particular skill is needed.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

You may well have to mix your own

I can supply a few abestos cement tiles from the garage roof, but I don't think that they are really suitable for grinding down into a nice fine powder to mix in with the Artex.

I can see that you're now getting seriously tempted by the insurance route for a completely new kitchen.. :-) You might want to throw in a few cups of tea with the mix to get that aged look as well.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

We have a son in law who's a very good plasterer. Everyone needs one good quality ...

When we Artexed our bathroom ceiling he was very scathing, his father had done one and it fell off in six weeks, he said. I've never known of this happen, ours is still going strong, the only problem is that it's difficult to sweep off the cobwebs. My method of dealing with that problem is to ignore it. Eventually it will be re-painted.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suppose that you'll need to do as best os you can at the manufacturers.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"N. Thornton" wrote | "Owain" wrote | > | How easy it Artex to apply? | > Terribly easy. My own flat was done by a blind rabid chimpanzee | > high on crack cocaine (I would judge by the result). | :) I think the reason for its popularity was that no particular skill | is needed.

vs. The reason for its unpopularity is that no particular skill was needed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Um. Perhaps that's why my plasterer son in law was so scathing about it - people did it for themselves and didn't need to pay someone else to do it?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It was designed for trade application - people set up as "Artexers". The original design aim was a coating which could be used easily and quickly to repair cracked and damaged ceilings without having to take them down and start again.

It had to be flexible so it didn't crack, strong enough to hold the old ceiling together and thick enough to cover existing cracks. The resulting paste met all these requirements but didn't give a smooth surface, nor was it possible to get an even surface as with plaster. As it was easy to apply and impossible to smooth it quite rightly earned the scorn of proper plasterers.

As a result of the inability to produce a smooth surface a series of "Professional tools" were developed for the Artexer to "texture" (hide the fact it wasn't flat) the ceiling and give "interesting designs" such as the pigs bum swirls called "circle"

. Amazingly "Artexers" are still around and still torturing pigs by dabbing ceilings with their rears.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yes, but the 'textured look' was fashionable then. Probably still is, perhaps even encouraged by the Artex manufacturers.

I neve liked that finish but I do like the mini stalactite look on our bathroom ceiling. And it gives a ot of purchase to the spiders :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher