Asbestos in loft

Decided to clear out part of the loft, but I think I may have found some asbestos pipe insulation up there.

It is in pieces around 18 inches long, and is semi-circular. So two pieces would surround a pipe and stay put with tape. The inside of the insulation appears to made of a white powdery substance.

Now I have seen it I dont plan to touch it, but does anyone know if there is any assistance available for safe removal of this stuff?

Many thanks

Reply to
Philip

Aspestos is fiberous, short thin sharp fibers that get stuck in your lungs, but you should be able to see fibres, like when you rip paper.

The council will have a guy that can get rid of it, but it will cost.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Wear a respirator and disposable overalls, spray the section gently with water to damp it which will stop any fibres floating around and carefully bag it up in polythene. It will then be moveable with relative safety. Obviously deal with it carefully and your council will tell you which disposal site can take it off your hands. Yes its potentially dangerous stuff but too many people get rabid about it. Its also not always easy to see fibres in the stuff but there are many other preformed insulation sections around which do not contain asbestos.

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

And too many people also get Asbestosis with it.

The OELs are a load of horse manure also - one fibre in your lung is all that is required.

It won't be easy to see the fibres that have floated about into crevices in the loft and elsewhere in the building either. The professionals are pretty efficient at removing it and have special vacuums, PPE etc. to remove it safely. Kitsons sell the gear.

you are there they can see to all your insulation needs.

Their trade counter system is a little odd though compared to trade counters generally. One goes into an office in Kitsons (seems a bit strange walking into a company's open plan office) then they electronically send a document down to the Sheffield Insulations trade counter (which has nothing on show - mind you it's all big stuff) collect the ticket then go to the warehouse to collect. I suppose they are more used to taking telephone orders and I have gone in at the very end of the working day after I have finished work.

\rlly do consider getting it professionally removed if there has been much disturbance in the loft or there is a draught or other factors which could have sent the fibres airborne. I'll tell you the lung cancer ward is not a pleasant place.

How old is the house?

Taped in place it sounds to be rather too modern to be asbestos and could be fibreglass or ceramic insulation. Chrysotile is an obviously fibrous substance - not particularly powdery.

Not as you might expect, the asbestos removal scam is one of the more profitable in local government. You ask the council to inspect/test. They do (and charge you) and report it is chrysotile. They tell you to use a "licensed" removal firm who will only charge you about £2,000 to £5,000 for removing it.

On your site they wear fancy suits and breathing apparatus. Once around the corner it all comes off and the harmless waste goes in the tip.

There are no known cases of chrysotile (white asbestos) causing any illness except in a few cases of occupational exposure to large amounts over many years (blue asbestos is a different problem, although the risk even then is minuscule from single exposure, but you are highly unlikely to come across blue). In theory a single particle of asbestos can cause illness. In practice it is a naturally occurring product and every person in the country breathes in quite a number of particles each and every day. Needless to say those who make huge amounts of money from the clearance scam are the most voluble in proclaiming the "risks".

Reply to
Peter Parry

I agree with all that Peter says. Domestic pipes don't need the temperature capability of asbestos, but I suppose someone could have filched an industrial product intended for high pressure steam pipe. I'd go for damping before and during removal, wear a mask and gloves, shower and wash overalls afterwards. Bag in polythene and tape shut. Councils should have special bins (but may only have one tip per county) and I doubt if they will charge if you take it to them. If it is asbestos you are supposed to double bag and label it, in practice the main thing is to get it to relative safety buried in a proper tip.

Reply to
OldScrawn

There are 3 types of abestos: white, blue, brown. White is almost harmless, the meso-thingy it causes occurs when workers are deluged with snowballs of the stuff day after day. Not when they spray one piece with paint/pva and come back next day and remove it.

Brown is the bad news stuff, blue less so. Its unfortunate they all have the same name 'asbestos' or we'd almost certainly still be using white asbestos. Cement has known risks too from its toxic thallium content.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton