Asbestos in Coving

Hi there,

I am just wondering if anyone knows whether asbestos was ever used in coving? Today I removed some coving from the walls of my bedroom. I was expecting them to be made of some kind of plastic material, but instead found that they were filled with a grey, plaster-like material. They date from the mid-1970s and were put up by a previous owner. Having hammered and scraped the stuff off the walls, this generated a fair amount of dust. It didn't occur to me that there would be anything unsafe in this until I had finished, when I thought of the possibility of asbestos.

Thanks,

Jon.

Reply to
Jon

I would assume they were plaster. You'd be better worrying about the real risks.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Coving was traditionally done in plaster, before the ease of using either preformed plaster sheet coving or polystyrene.

Was it hollow plaster with card, like plasterboard? That's the preformed stuff - you can still buy it.

I doubt there is any asbestos in what you found, then again I never expected to find asbestos in some old types of artex!

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks for your replies. From what you are saying it appears unlikely that there is anything to worry about.

The coving consisted of a card/pvc exterior, filled inside with plaster. It was heavier than I expected it to be. I think it was called Blue Hawk Cove.

Thanks,

Jon.

Reply to
Jon

Sounds about right.

That stuff is generally regarded as better than the polystyrene version as you could scrape paper off and re-paper - something that would be more difficult with polystryrene with damaging it.

Polystyrene is cheap and easy to fit in contrast.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Fairly well known to be found in artex, have never seen or heard of it in coving.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France