Asbestos in Artex Ceilings circa 1979?

What are the chances of a Moody Homes 1979 built house (in Essex) containing asbestos in the stippled Artex ceilings?

Just wondered, before we go ahead having spotlights put in the ceilings in some of the rooms.

Cheers,

Fred.

Reply to
Fred Finisterre

Almost certainly, but small quantity only of the least dangerous sort. It was the early 80s it stopped containing asbestos. My second extension c. 1987 will be clear, but my house, dated 1977 will not be. I'm not sure about my first extension ceilings from about 1982.

I'd rate that a daft idea, on more than just asbestos grounds. Why not use CFLs?

Reply to
<me9

i would think so

it doesnt seem to constitute a genuine safety issue, but downlighters are about as poor a lighting design as you can get.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

Are there any simple/cheap ways of testing the Artex for asbestos?

Reply to
bof

The "asbestos watchdog" used to provide a cheap testing service, try them.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks, I'll take a look

Reply to
bof

Why bother? Simply assume it does contain Chrysotile and treat accordingly. The risk is trivial in any case so simply minimise dust by using something like a padsaw rather than a hole cutter. If you want to be a bit paranoid tape a large clear plastic bag with the padsaw inside it to the ceiling around where you want the hole, hold the padsaw from outside the bag and all the dust will be contained in the bag.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The Asbestos Watchdog do provide a cheap (=A320 donation) service to test materials for asbestos. Their website

has all the info on how to use their service.

Reply to
sars1979