Asbestos in 1950s garage roof liner under tiles?

My 1950s house has a free standing brick garage with a tiled roof. Under th e tiles and open to the interior space is a papery material, now all cracke d and torn, from age. I guess it was intended as a water or perhaps wind re sistant liner, when fitted. On close inspection, I can see that the liner h as glass fibre like material in it. Does anyone know whether asbestos was c ommonly used in thin, flexible, paper-like material for lining under roof t iles? I'm wondering whether I need to look into getting the stuff tested.

Thanks. Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

What colour is it?

Is it roofing felt?

Reply to
Michael Chare

The only way to know is to have it tested.

Reply to
ARW

The material is a yellowy brown, but I imagine that it has darkened with ag e. I cut off a loose flap to examine it. Seems to be layered, with a black tar substance in the middle and cotton/fibre grid pattern reinforcement. Th e outer layers each side are papery/fibrous and readily disintegrate to pro duce a very fine dust. I might get my microscope out to see what this dust looks like.

Cheers. Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

The roof liners I have seen have been black!

Asbestos is usually in more rigid structures such as a board.

Having it tested is clearly the safest method.

Reply to
Michael Chare

If it comes back positive, what would the OP do next? Getting rid of the material would be expensive.

If it has disintegrated and gone all over neighbouring gardens, that could be a really major clean-up operation. If he is responsible, it would be best to check his home insurance to see whether it is covered under public liability.

Reply to
GB

age. I cut off a loose flap to examine it. Seems to be layered, with a blac k tar substance in the middle and cotton/fibre grid pattern reinforcement. The outer layers each side are papery/fibrous and readily disintegrate to p roduce a very fine dust. I might get my microscope out to see what this dus t looks like.

In the 1930s asbestos was often used in softer materials than today, such a s rubber or bitumen, but I know nothing of the details of construction of s uch sheets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hide it at the bottom of his wheelie bin.

Reply to
ARW

There are pictures on the web of asbestos fibres under a microscope. A polarizer is useful to help identification. Whilst I hesitate to recommend self-diagnosis, if you have a suitable microscope, some experience in using it, and a bit of common sense you might well be able to eliminate a potentially suspicious material.

That said, in the 1950's there were a lot of "soft" materials containing asbestos, including "rope" for stove doors, "fabric" for iron stands on ironing boards, and a paper-like material a bit like blotting paper. And a d-i-y "rawlplug" mix of asbestos and something cementatious which I recall mixing up in the palm of my hand, using spit.

However, if your material has bitumen on one side I think it is much more likely to be some sort of "roofing felt", probably with jute reinforcement, rather than a fire protection product.

As someone just pointed out, there is good and sensible HSE advice on removal of asbestos cement on the web.

Reply to
newshound

A whole raft of fibreboard insulating materials appeared about this time.

Although American this site discusses some :-

However, it is more likely to be some sort of building paper (bitumen paper)

Building paper did not use asbestos.

Reply to
Peter Parry

the tiles and open to the interior space is a papery material, now all crac ked and torn, from age. I guess it was intended as a water or perhaps wind resistant liner, when fitted. On close inspection, I can see that the liner has glass fibre like material in it. Does anyone know whether asbestos was commonly used in thin, flexible, paper-like material for lining under roof tiles? I'm wondering whether I need to look into getting the stuff tested.

See if it burns. Every roofing felt I know of burns. Even the stuff made today. If there are fibres left after burning, it's one I haven't seen & therefore might be asbestos.

The only other non flammable fibre that it might be is glass/mineral wool.

Asbestos was used to reinforce lots of stuff in the past. From toilet seats to plastic floor tiles.

Reply to
harry

It was, but then so was lots of other substances of course. I know that there are worries about some built in the lat 60s here in the site behind my house. They will have to come down as they are too narrow to get modern cars in, unless that is you want to live in your car.#

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

the tiles and open to the interior space is a papery material, now all crac ked and torn, from age. I guess it was intended as a water or perhaps wind resistant liner, when fitted. On close inspection, I can see that the liner has glass fibre like material in it. Does anyone know whether asbestos was commonly used in thin, flexible, paper-like material for lining under roof tiles? I'm wondering whether I need to look into getting the stuff tested.

The material is called "Kraft paper" trade name Sisal Kraft, It's a constru ction of thin fawn coloured paper with a tar backing with a cotton thread a nd another layer of fawn paper. After about 20years or so it deaerates. It was a cheap alterative to the old type bitumen felt.

Reply to
Kipper at sea