Asbestos Floor Tiles

On Christmas day, me, my dad, and my brother-in-law spent some time discussing the brother-in-law's kitchen floor (as you do). The house is late 70's build.

None of us is really sure when the floor tiles were originally laid, but the back of them is a brittle white compound.

What thickness were asbestos floor tiles? And are there any tell-tale signs as to whether these may be asbestos or not?

Cheers

JW

Reply to
JW

This may help....

I think you can get a test done for around £30. Almost all floor tiles manufactured in the past few decades until the mid

80's contained asbestos.

SS

vinyl-asbestos too then. ISTR they have a black backing - which I'd thought was something tar like - though probably not.

Incidentally, for testing, I just found this one:

for 5 simultaneous sample tests.

JW

Reply to
JW

Ignore that - that's just for the kit with bags, overalls and masks etc. The sample costs are higher:

JW

>>> £22.50 for 5 simultaneous sample tests.

you're just needing to get rid of them check to see if your council tip takes asbestos, ours does (South Lakes), providing it's double bagged and handed over to the staff to be put in a dedicated skip. If so then just assume it's asbestos based, bag it up and take it down saving the testing costs.

If you're not getting rid of them then just leave them be, they won't do any harm unless broken up.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Thanks Mike - to be honest, we really just wanted to know if they were asbestos. If they are, then simplest will probably be to just tile or lino over them.

Reply to
JW

They are prolly vinyl asbestos - the asbestos was used as a filler. Most common tell tale sign is thaey become very brittle & crack at the edges.

70's build makes it highly likely.

Left alone - no problem.

Dave

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Harry. I think the B-I-L will be getting a pro to lay new tiles or lino straight over the top. Someone else's problem - then job done! ;-)

Reply to
JW

Yup - they have - they were the bits we were studying on Boxing Day! :)

Reply to
JW