Asbestos

The message from "davej" contains these words:

IIRC ours doesn't require sheets of roofing and the like to be bagged as they realise that they've been like that for years and breaking them up to bag them would only make things worse.

Reply to
Guy King

Mesothelioma is very rare. Lung diseases like silicosis and asbestosis are far more common. You will know if you have "clogged up lungs", but only the doctor who does the post mortem will be able to say what the dominant cause was, and only then if they take sections and carry out microscopic analysis.

Just as "one fibre can cause mesothelioma", so can one alpha particle cause lung cancer. But the probability per particle is very low indeed.

Reply to
Newshound

Fuck off - as usual - nothing positive to contribute.

Reply to
<me

When was it first discovered that asbestos caused cancer

-- pebe

Reply to
pebe

That was what you posted on the Cancer Group when the poor chap said he only had a few days to live. You denied it was you but you now show you simply don't care about anyone. Scum

Reply to
Tone.

No problem. I have had things in perspective for some years now.

When the asbestos scare started I got the impression from the way things are reported, and still are, that it was only a matter of time before I inevitably contracted mesothelioma.

I have done a bit of research since and found that the possibility of dying from mesothelioma is just one more danger on the same scale as the myriad of others facing those of us past 60 years old. Other cancers, heart failure and many other ilnesses and even driving to town. You have to die from something eventually anyway.

It's just that reporting about asbsetos diseases reads a little like "One driving trip to town centre is enough to kill or permanently cripple you and all car owners are in danger." Yes, but those who drive cars have perspective and know what the statement means. Those who have been in contact with asbestos do not necessarily have any perspective and my experience has shown that no one, including doctors and other health professionals, are prepared to provide any.

One thing that does concern me, though.

I have been in contact with asbestos dust in a few of the places I have worked over the last 40 years, but if I do contract mesothelioma then the only one I will admit is the steelworks where I insulated cables with asbestos in the 1970's. They acknowledge that I worked with asbestos there, so that settles it for me. I have someone to sue for compensation should the need arise.

It's there that my problem begins. If I do contract mesothelioma there is no way I am going to submit to treatment and let the illness run its inevitable course. I am going to take a large amount of LSD every day for a week or so to enhance the right frame of mind and then overdose on heroin. What worries me if this 'suicide' will affect any compensation my wife might expect.

Clough

Reply to
Clough

I have often found that all the workmates of a mesothelioma victim are hale and healthy and have a normal lifespan, but of course once people start asking them about how much asbestos they were using it does tend to leave them feeling rather depressed about their future.

I worry about when I changed brake blocks and brake shoes 20 years ago.

Interesting question but I don't think it would, not so long as a definite diagnosis had been made.

It is something I often wonder about - whether I would do as everyone else does and accept the treatment that will lengthen your life by 6 to 10 months, or let the disease take its course as quickly as possible, or commit suicide. I think when people are actually in that position they usually follow medical advice and cling to life as long as possible and it would take a great effort of will to rebel.

Reply to
The Todal

want to know. I do not understand why the health professionals I have talked to over the years have been so non-committal and extremely reluctant to say anything.

It was white asbestos cloth and rope and threw up a thin haze of particles while being wrapped around the cables. I insulated cables this way perhaps three or four times a month for about 10 years.

Clough

Reply to
Clough

If the sheets were not broken or crumbling, it is unlikely you were exposed to any significant quantities of asbestos.

It is of course possible for any of us to be exposed to asbestos without even knowing. I am aware of a case involving a theatre manager who has contracted mesothelioma. The only exposure of which he is aware is to a fire-curtain which is old, frayed and crumbling, and probably also to sprayed-on asbestos coatings on steelwork in the building. Visitors would probably have been unaware of any risk, but who knows how many theatregoers as well as actors and backstage staff could have been exposed. Nobody will ever tell them.

This would be pleural plaques or pleural thickening, currently the subject of an appeal to the House of Lords after a Court of Appeal ruling that symptomless damage to a lung is not compensatable. And fortunately, the chances of you becoming breathless are fairly low.

The Todal

!! just for the hell of it. used to loads of it about in the 70's, everyones shed and garage was made of it, couple of houses round here still have it for roofing

Reply to
Staffbull

If the insurance industry is still using the now abandoned simple multiplicative birth cohort model initially used by the H&SE it is rather out of date. The updated HSE prediction (Dec 2003) is the annual total number of mesothelioma deaths in Great Britain will peak at around 1950 to 2450 deaths some time between 2011 and 2015.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks for that - quite probably insurers are well aware of that even if I wasn't.

And two UK insurers have already gone bust as a result of asbestos claims: Builders Accident and Iron Trades (Chester Street).

The FSCS

has, until recently, been stepping in and paying claimants who are suing defunct companies insured by defunct insurers. But it now looks as if they are backing away. Blair and his government rushed to change the law after the House of Lords gave its decision in the Barker v Corus case, to ensure that more compensation would go to more claimants - but will the government step in with money if the money runs out? I don't thing that prudent Gordon would approve.

Reply to
The Todal

you may find a similar scheme will be set up to that which compensates miners for illnesses associated with coal dust

Many insurance companies are in an absolute tail spin over asbestos and possible claims in the future it has already been said that many smaller companies will not survive

Reply to
Steve Robinson

Another solid gold solicitors trough for them to get their snouts into?

Reply to
Peter Parry

what would you honestly expect from a cabinet dominated by those in or associated with the legal proffesion

Reply to
Steve Robinson

.. and hangers-on with rectangular smiles....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Litigation is usually more profitable than any government-run scheme. And asbestos litigation is hugely profitable for those who represent claimants, involving costs figures of 25k up to perhaps 100k based on huge hourly rates and large success fees.

Reply to
The Todal

I doubt if that is true of the Coal Miners? Compensation Scheme covering respiratory and vibration-related diseases where some 48 solicitors are now being investigated for depriving their clients of the money they were due. Avalons senior partner alone apparently made GBP13M out of the scheme in one year and Beresfords manage to run a private aircraft from it. By the time the scheme ends solicitors will have made £1,851 million out of it. I don't think they would have made that if they had had to work for it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

For those solicitors successful in litigation.

For the others, much easier to fill in some claim forms and wait.

Owain

Reply to
Owain