As we are doing Car problems - my rear washer stopped working

So

perhaps you good gentlemen can help

I have recently acquired a Mondeo (no that isn't the problem).

The rear washer has never worked properly, and for the first couple of months a small amount of water would just trickle out until after a couple of seconds a short squirt of water would come out of the front washer.

After a few weeks of this, the last time I used it all that happens is it squirts water out of the front washer exactly like I had operated the front washer (except that the wipers don't come on).

What is going on here?

How many pumps does this sort of system have. How is the water routed between front/back?

(and is this an MOT failure! - probably too much off topic!)

TIA

tim

Reply to
tim....

The nozzle is blocked.

Reply to
Huge

No; the rear washer/wiper is not part of the test.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Almost certainly a valve has failed inside the pump. Ebay for a new one. should only be a few quid. Press fit into the tank. Access to the tank? all depends on the car. My Cmax has the tank in the wheel arch so as and when I need to, I'll approach from behind the arch liner as a first attempt

Most pumps output from one pipe when turning in one direction and the other outlet when run in reverse. Valves & pumps usually killed by running with empty tank - the pump needs water as a lubricant. Rear wash/wipe is not part of MOT but the front is.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I had credited the OP with enough intelligence to have tried that already when I wrote my reply lower down but I suppose you could be right and I was being naive?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Never assume anything.

TBH, it only occurred to me because the rear washers on my car were frozen yesterday but the front ones weren't and when I pushed the rear washers, water came out of the front ones...

Reply to
Huge

Originally enough water came out for me to know that it wasn't completely blocked, but in the current conditions I have no idea whether it is frozen somewhere along the line, unlike the front there's no access to the pipework to the rear.

But I did wait until the end of my two hour drive last week, after every other piece of ice had melted off the car before trying, but it could still have been frozen.

But I wanted to know if this coming out of the other pipe was "normal".

I guess I'll have to wait until spring to find out if it's blocked.

thanks everyone

tim

Reply to
tim....

Wiggle a needle down the tiny hole on the back washer jet - it's highly likely to be a build up of slime or a bit of gunge blocking the hole. Have someone operate the rear washer while you stay at the back and do it 3 or 4 times to see if it dislodges, also when refilling the wash bottle, add a few drops of household bleach to the water to prevent slime and algy building up in the bottle

Reply to
Phil L

If it's frozen somewhere under the trim, it will thaw as soon as the temperature stays above freezing for a few hours - hopefully before spring! Meanwhile, try pouring some hot water water over the nozzle and poking a pin into it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Feb 12, 5:20=A0pm, "Phil L" wrote: Nozzles block with limescale, remove and soak in vinegar. The pipes can break where it flewes at the entry into the bonnet or boot lid. The pump also gets blocked with gunge, remove and clean.

Reply to
Onetap