Artex again

'Bout time for another thread on Artex?

I have acquired loads of gorgeous Artexed ceilings which I need to revert to their original smooth state. I *really* don't want to have to remove the stuff, as it's bloody hard work and more seriously I gather that pre-1978 Artex contains asbestos and needs removing professionally.

So I'm seriously considering covering it over, either by getting a pro in to skim it (following PVA treatment?) or maybe by using one of the proprietary 'Artex-covering-gunge' from the sheds. Advice in previous posts here on the subject are divided between 'skim' and 'strip' - can anyone share their experience of skimming it? Does it work? I had a chat with a pro today actually; he refused to countenance skimming and said if I didn't want to haul it off, it would be a case of covering with plasterboard and skimming that!! No chance.

BTW I'll be selling the property fairly soon after the work's done, so I'm not too fussed about it having to last 50 years...

TIA David

Reply to
David

Thee_Psycho

Err, how would one check?

My parents 1977 built house is entirely Artexed[1]. Well apart from the downstairs loo where we chipped it all off a couple of months ago....

[1] OK, just the ceilings
Reply to
Grant Mason

I think the only way to be certain is to get a sample tested by a lab.

My house built in the 1960's has artexed ceilings and I think it is very likely they contain asbestos - albeit at a relatively low concentration. I have always been very careful if I have to disturb them- for example when repairing minor damage when decorating etc. The last time I did this I used a mask etc and ended up with a small bag containing some artex fragments. I took it to the local council dump where there is a skip for asbestos containing materials and as requested spoke to one of the operators before using it. They let me use it to dispose of the bag, but could not beleive artex used to contain asbestos. I don't think much of the health and safety training the council gives its employees!

James

Reply to
James

I've had 2 ceilings skimmed so far in my house

The artex ceilings were first done in 1985 and were 'swirl' patterned

The pro 'flattened off' any prominent tips, PVA'd and skimmed

1 ceiling was done about 1 year ago, with no probs so far

Other was done about 6 weeks ago - looks great

Cost was £120 for my hallway and d/s loo

£150 for my bathroom, but this included skimming 3 walls where I removed the tiles

Regards

Hays

T610 Housings in stock now!!

The plasterer James wrote: