Artex

Page 1 of 2
On a recent "Changing Rooms" shown here in America, Laurence used a product called Artex to create 3-D art for above a sofa.
Can anyone tell me what comparable product is available here in the US?
Thanks for your help
Pat Davis
Hi Pat
I am in the UK so can't help you with your question, but Artex was very fashionable over here during the 1970's and 80's. Thousands of people all around the UK are spending a fortune trying to get their Artex off or covered up. I would think long and hard before you do anything with it as it is expensive to put right again!
Angela

Angela wrote:

I love artex :-)
any thick paint with a cementlike additive will do the job. I am sure the USA has such.

Excellent - would you like mine? - I have 4 rooms of it, it's free, just come and collect it !! LOL
Angela,
No - I am not planning on putting it on the wall. I want to use it to create a 3-D piece of art on canvas for above my sofa.
Laurence used MDF, but I think canvas would work as well.
Thanks your reply.
Pat

On 27 Oct 2003 16:06:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Pat Davis) wrote:

If on canvas then I would assume it would be easily removable. But if it were on the wall (or ceiling) directly then it would be a royal pain to remove in the future, and that could be one of those influencing factors when selling the house.
Dunno why people here seem to be suggesting artex is such a big thing. It's on all our ceilings and we have no issue with it. House is 8 years old.
PoP
PoP wrote: >

When you come to sell it, see how easy it is to shift (the house, that is, not the artex). At the end of the day, Artex has a polarising effect on buyers - people either like it or hate it - pretty much noone is ambivalent to it. It will, in effect, reduce your marketability.
Think about it...nasty/strong colours on your walls can be painted over, yet the need for a lick o' paint still puts some people off. Artex, on the other hand, is a real pain to remove so it's likely to put even more people off.
RM
Reestit Mutton wrote:

Woodchip wallpaper. That's the stuff you need.
Put that on top of the artex and never look back...:-)
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And paint it magnolia...oh sorry, people already do that.
I still cannot understand why people are being advised to cover their property in the paint equivalent of artex and woodchip.
If you want a clean look - just use white.
If white is too clinical for you (e.g. you have a period property), use light (and I mean LIGHT) pastel shades with warmer colours (yellows, reds) in the north-facing rooms and cooler colours (blues, greens) in south-facing rooms. Hall and stairs should be in a light neutral colour (e.g. stone, straw) - that's how the Victorians did it (albeit with darker shades).
A little thought and planning and a bit more cash and you will have a warm inviting place that isn't likely to put many people off.
RM

I'm talking artex on ceilings, not on walls.....I have never met anyone who had a problem with artexed ceilings.....
PoP

If you like it your over a certain age. Same goes with patterned carpet. I've gone from hating it and laughing it, to thinking well at least it's practical, to now thinking it's really quite nice. I also look at clothes and think it would be comfortable, practical or keep my kidneys warm? I'm still on the hate-Artex side of 40 tho.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:58:13 -0000, "Suz"

Have to admit that I'm a little surprised - simply because I've never met anyone who had a problem with artex. And I thought I mixed with Bertie Bassett (all sorts) ;)
PoP

I'm under 30 and I never met anyone who didn't have a problem with Artex ! I wonder if it's a southern thing! ;-)

I think I was 20 when I got our house artexed, and it still looks nice *and* distinctive - I suppose it all depends on whether you use someone good at creating patterns with the stuff, or just does the rough stipple...

I think the problem most people have is with "overdone" Artex. A bit of a pattern on the ceiling is fine, but 5 to 10mm deep furrows is a bit over the top.
The house we have just sold had Artexed walls in one room. I had little problem with them, but they did leave decorating options rather limited - no chance of wallpapering for example. The other problem was attaching things to the wall - the "lumpy bits" either meant that you had to force shelf brackets to fit, or had to hack at the wall to make it flat, and then when you come to remove the things, you leave a permanent and unrepairable mark on the wall.
We've just bought "Artex Castle". The bedrooms aren't too bad (most have the original 1930s ceilings, but one has deep "comb" pattern Artex), but the stairs and landing are lethal (swirly pattern with sharp bits sticking proud of the wall by 5mm or more). The living room has wood pannelling around the chimney and a *horrid* lumpy Artex ceiling which looks like someone threw little balls of the stuff at the ceiling and then painted over the lot three or four times to cover up the gaps. It also has a horrendous "feature" around the light fitting.
The archway into the kitchen is - literally - an inch thick in Artex, lumpy pattern again with what were probably originally ivy leaves or something but are now indistinct under several layers of yellowed gloss white.
The rear lobby also has a very thickly-patterned ceiling with something funny around the light.
I have taken some photographs of this mess, including a couple of stereo pairs. Maybe if I get a bored moment I'll put them on the website somewhere :-)
It is fortunate that we have planned a lot of work for this house. I reckon it's going to need new ceilings throughout and probably replastering throughout. Great fun...
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:54:22 GMT, Martin Angove

That may be the type of artex which others find distasteful. The artext we've got on our ceilings here is very random rather than swirls, maybe a couple of mm deep.
PoP

I think you'll find you meant a Northern thing. We're the ones with taste. :-p
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:00:30 -0000, "Suz"

Tsk. Northerners have taste? What the heck is that big monstronsity sitting on the outskirts of Newcastle then? If that's tasteful..... ;)
PoP
"PoP" wrote | "Suz" wrote: | >I think you'll find you meant a Northern thing. We're the ones | >with taste. | Tsk. Northerners have taste? What the heck is that big monstronsity | sitting on the outskirts of Newcastle then? If that's tasteful..... ;)
It epitomises the taste of the southern bit of the United Kingdom.
It's us lot in the northern bit that have taste.
You'll have had your tea?
Owain
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:00:32 -0000, "Owain"

It looks like a DIY project which has gone horribly wrong. What's it called, "Angel of the north"? Gordon Bennett, if the little green men get their telescope out they will think we are all big monstrosities with wings that don't flap.

Three words - Newcastle Brown Ale. You can retract your statement if you want ;)

At just gone half past two in the afternoon?
PoP