Artex

On a recent "Changing Rooms" shown here in America, Laurence used a product called Artex to create 3-D art for above a sofa.

Can anyone tell me what comparable product is available here in the US?

Thanks for your help

Pat Davis

Reply to
Pat Davis

Hi Pat

I am in the UK so can't help you with your question, but Artex was very fashionable over here during the 1970's and 80's. Thousands of people all around the UK are spending a fortune trying to get their Artex off or covered up. I would think long and hard before you do anything with it as it is expensive to put right again!

Reply to
Angela

I love artex :-)

any thick paint with a cementlike additive will do the job. I am sure the USA has such.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Excellent - would you like mine? - I have 4 rooms of it, it's free, just come and collect it !! LOL

Reply to
Angela

Angela,

No - I am not planning on putting it on the wall. I want to use it to create a 3-D piece of art on canvas for above my sofa.

Laurence used MDF, but I think canvas would work as well.

Thanks your reply.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Davis

If on canvas then I would assume it would be easily removable. But if it were on the wall (or ceiling) directly then it would be a royal pain to remove in the future, and that could be one of those influencing factors when selling the house.

Dunno why people here seem to be suggesting artex is such a big thing. It's on all our ceilings and we have no issue with it. House is 8 years old.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Artex is great for hiding cracks lots of bumps poor original plastering in walls/ceilings but a total ***t to remove and incredibly messy scrapping the muck of walls/ceilings.

Whenever a Surveyor or Estate Agent views a house first thing they think of when they see Artex walls/ceilings.... what cracks/faults are house owners trying to hide.

Reply to
gamemaniak

Ah. In that case try an arts and crafts shop.

Ther are many materials - plaster of paris for one - that can be gobbed on to do releief with, and indeed some forms of artists paint can be applied thick.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

PoP wrote: >

When you come to sell it, see how easy it is to shift (the house, that is, not the artex). At the end of the day, Artex has a polarising effect on buyers - people either like it or hate it - pretty much noone is ambivalent to it. It will, in effect, reduce your marketability.

Think about it...nasty/strong colours on your walls can be painted over, yet the need for a lick o' paint still puts some people off. Artex, on the other hand, is a real pain to remove so it's likely to put even more people off.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

And paint it magnolia...oh sorry, people already do that.

I still cannot understand why people are being advised to cover their property in the paint equivalent of artex and woodchip.

If you want a clean look - just use white.

If white is too clinical for you (e.g. you have a period property), use light (and I mean LIGHT) pastel shades with warmer colours (yellows, reds) in the north-facing rooms and cooler colours (blues, greens) in south-facing rooms. Hall and stairs should be in a light neutral colour (e.g. stone, straw) - that's how the Victorians did it (albeit with darker shades).

A little thought and planning and a bit more cash and you will have a warm inviting place that isn't likely to put many people off.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

Woodchip wallpaper. That's the stuff you need.

Put that on top of the artex and never look back...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was suprised to see no-one has got a link to it in Google. It an household word here. So I searched for: "textured acrylic finishes" and found this:

among many. I'm not sure of the exactness. No doubt our young Ms Kettle can put us right when she comes along.

You should be able to buy it in Wal Mart under the heading for Textured Finishes or whatever, near the paint/plaster section. It is a white powder that comes in bags like lime or plaster and is used with boiling water to make the mix. Tins of it come ready made at a little more as you must pay for the water. It looks just like thick textured paint when mixed.

Aternatives you might want to try are bonding plaster or plaster of paris (I think you might have to add pva to that). Ordinary plaster would do if you added something to it such as sawdust or mica (an inert stone that is used in insulation.) Come to that you could mix it with sand or clay or anything else it is just to slow down the speed it sets at and stop it cracking.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I'm talking artex on ceilings, not on walls.....I have never met anyone who had a problem with artexed ceilings.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Half the population have a problem with it PoP. It's one of those things. If you like it your over a certain age. Same goes with patterned carpet. I've gone from hating it and laughing it, to thinking well at least it's practical, to now thinking it's really quite nice. I also look at clothes and think it would be comfortable, practical or keep my kidneys warm? I'm still on the hate-Artex side of 40 tho.

Reply to
Suz

Have to admit that I'm a little surprised - simply because I've never met anyone who had a problem with artex. And I thought I mixed with Bertie Bassett (all sorts) ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

never

I'm under 30 and I never met anyone who didn't have a problem with Artex ! I wonder if it's a southern thing! ;-)

Reply to
Angela

I think I was 20 when I got our house artexed, and it still looks nice

*and* distinctive - I suppose it all depends on whether you use someone good at creating patterns with the stuff, or just does the rough stipple...
Reply to
Colin Wilson

I think you'll find you meant a Northern thing. We're the ones with taste. :-p

Reply to
Suz

Tsk. Northerners have taste? What the heck is that big monstronsity sitting on the outskirts of Newcastle then? If that's tasteful..... ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

"PoP" wrote | "Suz" wrote: | >I think you'll find you meant a Northern thing. We're the ones | >with taste. | Tsk. Northerners have taste? What the heck is that big monstronsity | sitting on the outskirts of Newcastle then? If that's tasteful..... ;)

It epitomises the taste of the southern bit of the United Kingdom.

It's us lot in the northern bit that have taste.

You'll have had your tea?

Owain

Reply to
Owain