Arrrgghh! Do I need a new bath?

A couple of weeks ago, we had a leak from our power shower. To find out where the leak was, I had to remove the tiles to reveal the pipework.

When I found the offending spot, I was kicking myself, because all it turned to be was a perished washer from the connector to the shower head hose. But, I thought to myself, it was for the best because it was partition wall and the tiles were siting on a weekened plasterboard.

To assist removing the tiles, I borrowed a steamer (like the ones for removing wallpaper with the rectangle shaped head.)

When not being used, i simply left it in the bath. No harm there I thought! Wrong! The superheated steam has now left the shape of the head where it sat. Worse still, there is some cracking of the fibreglass and the whole area is no longer smooth and quite rough.

So my question here is, is there anything that can be done to salvage this or are my expenses now increased by the need to replace the bath (and no doubt the rest) - and probably have to retile the whole bathroom!

And all because of a perrished washer - that Aqualisa didnt mention may be the cause when I phoned them! Yes I am gutted!

Ho hum!

Cheers

Reply to
guv

Depends how fussy you are, I suppose. I'm sure it's possible to overlay some epoxy gel or fibreglass which would safely seal and reinforce the damaged area. With care you might get it approximately the right colour, and reasonably smooth, but it'll still be obvious.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Buildings insurance claim?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Maybe - but considering I have literally made a claim for the leak and given the mobey to fix the flood damage, I dont think they would wear "BTW I also need a new bath - for further damage incured whilst fixing the original claim!" ;-)

Reply to
guv

And this is one of reasons premiums keep going up.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Assuming it doesnt leak and the damaged area is in direct line with the shower rose and not your arse simply cover it with a non-slip shower mat

Reply to
anon

Or you could apply the reinforcement on the underside instead (use a car body repair kit from Halfords etc) - won't make any difference either way to the appearance but will stop it cracking/leaking.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sorry, you have lost me. Why would me having to pay to replace a bath I have damaged whilst trying to repair damage caused by a leaking shower affect your insurance premiums? I'll assume you are not begrudging the fact I have had to make a claim for my house being flood damaged? That is the reason you have insurances, isn't it? having said that, this is my first claim in the 12 years I have been in this house - but not the first time I could have made a claim.

Maybe you could clarify?

Reply to
guv