Arris rails in concrete posts

If you have an existing feather edge fence with the arris rails going into mortises on concrete posts, how to you replace the arris rails?

Removing the old ones is easy enough, but how do you get the new ones in?

Could use arris rail brackets fixed to the posts with plugs, but not keen on that idea because drilling could leave the rebar susceptible to rust.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A blob of silicone or mastic sealant in the hole before you fit the plug, then a blob in the plug before you fit the screw as insurance, should do the trick.

Reply to
Bruce

There are Galavanised steel end brackets available, made specially to address the problem that you describe. They have a steel "tenon" which goes into the concrete mortice on one end and screw, with wood screws onto the end of the Arris rail. I believe that they are normally used in pairs, one on each end, but I suppose that you could get away with fitting them to one end only, maybe ? If you had an email which was valid I could send you a photo of them in situ. !!

Ian.

Reply to
Ian French

Are the mortises blind or through? If they are through then just taper one end of the arris rail to overlap its opposite number and then pull it back to the other mortise then tosh nail the overlap.

I do remember an american catalogue of tools from the 1800s that showed a windlass for bowing a cleft chestnut rail to enable it to be fitted between existing posts but I guess it would need to be green or steamed.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Hi, if you could send a photo of these brackets that would be nice. Regards

Reply to
Geoff

The original post was from 2008 - and I don't mean fence post!

Reply to
Murmansk

John Rumm

Rob Morley