Arrghhh! My brain hurts. Electrical trouble with new cooker.

Took delivery of a new dual fuel cooker today. (It's a Cannon Henley dual fuel cooker not that suppose that makes any difference).

Prior to installation, I had reinstated the old electrical connection (which had lain disconnected and unused for years when we had a gas only cooker) and wired it to a new 32amp MCB in the consumer unit. Our unit is split into non-RCD protected circuits on one side (lights, CH and alarm) and RCD protected circuits on the other (sockets etc.)

I fitted the new MCB to the non-protected side and everything seemed to work (at least with a meter)

Fitted the cooker and switched on at the wall and the clock duly lit up and the igniter worked fine for the gas hobs. Turned on the *gas* grill and the power died. The RCD had tripped. Same happens if I turn on the oven.

What's going on? Even if I've fitted the mcb to the wrong side, how can the RCD trip when the mcb is on the non-protected side?

Any suggestions before I tear the remains of my hair out?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Check that if the mcb is on the non Rcd side that the neutral is also connected to the non rcd neutral rail. did this on my own consumer unit a while ago, and the embarrassing thing is I'm an electrician shucks.

Reply to
LOZ34

Agreed. Did this awhile ago on customers lighting circuit. Spent 20 mins looking like a prat.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Bingo! I'm a prat! ;-)