Arrgh. Dyson DC01 poorly

Page 3 of 3
Witchy <> wrote

RD52 !! a very small scsi disk IIRC. I replaced the DEC firmware'd disk in mine with a standard (bigger) SCSI disk. The Tagged Command Queuing on the bus really confuses the hell out of the uVAX, but it doesn't crash it...
Cheers,
Paul.
On 10 Feb 2004 18:50:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@technologist.com (Zymurgy) wrote:

The RD5x disks were ST506 (MFM) drives. The 52 is a whopping 31Mb. I recall getting an early Pro 350 to play with - RD50 with 5Mb all for me;-)
--
Never itch for anything you aren't willing to scratch for.

Mail john rather than nospam...

a PDP-8 and a computer developed by some university in the US). That had a whole full height 19" cabinet dedicated to a 256k hard disk, four platters if I remember, each with 128 heads.
--
Chris Green

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:52:06 +0000, John Laird

I've got to find a way of backing up the RD50 in my Rainbow 100B+ 'cos I don't have install media for it.....could always use a load of RX50s I suppose.....
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

You'll only need about a dozen :-) Ah, the days when you really could back up your hard disk onto floppies...
--
I would if I could but I can't so I won't.

Mail john rather than nospam...
[28 lines snipped]

Worst bits, more like.
On 8 Feb 2004 13:12:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Probably started OK, and went down hill after that.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Dave Cutler was one of the 3 original VMS programming team members (though he wasn't there for that long) and went to Ken Olsen with the idea of a desktop OS for personal computers, but since Ken is famously quoted as saying 'I don't believe there's a reason for anyone to have a computer in the home' amongst other things the idea was rebuffed so Dave upped sticks and went to uncle bill. Where apparently he didn't last too long either.
Back then it was things like process control and virtual memory management....I knew some NT programmers and they said it was very much like VMS for that side of things but they didn't elaborate on the rest of the 'user experience'.
*strokes AMD webserver with Alpha 21064 FSB* :)
-- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

Where is he now? As an ex-RSX-11(M,S) programmer, he was always a hero of mine.

I'm an ex-RSX-11M (Systime) programmer. How come I'm not a hero of yours?
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) writes:

No, *I'm* the ex-RSX-11 programmer. DNC wrote most of it. And reportedly ported 11-M to the PDP11-70 over a weekend when the other O/S development teams were saying it was going to take months.
Oh, and SYSTIME kit sucked donkey doo-doo.
writes

fountain (always a give-away sign of impending financial disaster) and helicopter landing pad for ?John Gow
--
Andrew

I think the person who originated the theory about corporate excess and imminent liquidation had probably visited Systime's HQ. Just south of Leeds, iirc.
--
Just an amoeba in the Petri dish of life...

Mail john rather than nospam...

I've worked with VMS for 20-odd years, but despite this I still haven't come across what looks to be an entirely reliable biography of the guy. While he did write a lot of the original VMS kernel, he left the team after V1.0 and there has been a hell of a lot of development since then. So, he sowed some great seeds but there are many other talented O/S engineers to thank. He did not contribute to the development of clustering, for example, an area where VMS still stands head and shoulders above the rest. Imho...
Afaik, he fell out with DEC management over the cancellation of Mica, the possible VMS successor on new RISC hardware codenamed Prism (pretty ironic given that the Alpha eventually supplanted Vax). History tells us he moved to Microsoft in 1988.
Although some sources claim he left MS in 95, I know one NT kernel developer who started there after that and Cutler was definitely still around a few years later. Although he did seem to have a somewhat loose and creative contractural arrangement - when supposed to be at work he would sometimes be on vacation, and while supposedly on vacation could often be found in at weekends rewriting someone else's code :-)