Arrgh drain problem

Had main drain surveyed and bad leak found in a very awkward place, at bend in the pipe under our kitchen. Can be patched but will probably need the floor digging up, according to drain firm. Should I get a second opinion on whether it can be patched without digging? Man who did survey said it's about 80% certain it will need digging but he's going to discuss it with his lining expert.

Also, as this is a clay sewer pipe, they of course recommend lining it

- any advice on the best technoloy and cost for this? They want to charge £95 a metre (this is London) but don't charge VAT.

Thanks

Reply to
John Smith

How big is the drain?

110mm straight sections are patchable without digging as long as the pipe has not suffered a dislocation fracture (ie one part has shifted sideways to the other).

Perhaps the bend is making it difficult. Yes, I would take the CCTV recording (ask for it on DVD - you paid for it I presume) to some other firms.

It's amazing how much can be done "keyhole style".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh and ring your buildings insurer - this may be covered.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Must be a pretty small firm that doesn't charge VAT.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a technique for lining pipes which involves a long sock-like object which is turned inside out, and blown into the pipe using air pressure. It's impregnated with epoxy resin or something, which hardens once it's in place - providing a rigid lining. It has to be closed at one end to allow it to be blown, but the closed end can be cut off with a remote controlled cutter once it's hardened. You need access to one end of the pipe in order to install it. I'm not sure how well it goes round corners.

Can the pipe be accessed from a chamber outside or - if necessary - by digging a hole outside rather than inside?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I had one of these done in a straight run last year. There are two systems, epoxy (more expensive) and polyester (cheaper). The guy selling the epoxy said they had stopped doing polyester because they could come loose and move axially (obviously would not do that in a curved run).

ISTR mine was over £600 for about 3 metres (polyester) so £95 per metre sounds like a bargain. They managed to do it from quite a small access point (300 mm diameter inspection chamber).

Reply to
newshound

Sounds a bit dodgy if they don't charge vat, makes you wonder if they are on the l level about the rest.

How do you end up with this under a kitchen? Is this in an extension? I know that my old neighbours had this issue not long after the extension was finished, presumably due to trauma of the pipe. In the end they had the garden dug up and a new pipe put in so it was all outside the building and just removed the old stuff and filled it in. Obviously they had a huge cost to do this, but from what I understood a lot of it was paid by the insurance. I bet that would not happen today! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Wasn't there a similar system some years ago that was unrolled into the pipe in the same way, but using water and then hardened by heating the water?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes there's are two chambers, one outside and one actally in the kitchen but the hole is in a very awkward place on a bend in the pipe and also where it goes from 4 to 6 inches I think.

I'm waiting for the report to see if a non dig is feasible but I think I'll need to get the insurance company to also look at it.

Reply to
John Smith