Ariston or Vokera boiler?

I know one fitter who did work for a housing association that only fitted Vokera condensers as they found them reliable.

Reply to
IMM

The minimum is 86%. Band B is from 86% to 90%. All boilers in band B are condensing boilers. No non-condensing boiler is permitted next year.

Reply to
IMM

I think maybe you should expand on that a little......

Reply to
stuart noble

When I fitted my Keston, I was quite looking forward to seeing a nice large plume. It was not to be -- the plume it emits is pretty much exactly the same size as my neighbour's non-condensing and my parent's non-condensing boilers.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Get the return temperature down and then you will see it. The Keston is good at extracting moisture into the drain.

Reply to
IMM

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:35:51 +0100, "IMM" strung together this:

86% what? Apples, butterflies, useless content of replies?
Reply to
Lurch

For you toffee apples. Yes, I'm sure you would like that.

Reply to
IMM

I presume the new Building Regs will (like most other BRs) only apply to New Build. Refurb/modification/upgrade.

Whilst (I presume) exact like for like replacement as a repair will still be allowed? Of course there will be quite a few for who remain blissfully unaware of the whole matter.

The net result will be the opposite of the intent of the legislation. Where in some circumstances (probably only a small fraction overall) a quality non-condensing boiler would have been the best pragmatic compromise, instead they will be forced to stick with a much older and even more inefficient design on a like for like replacement.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

They showed us some slides of plumes at the Corgi event - quite spectacular, floating around open windows even though the terminal was correctly sited. The statement was made that most condensing flue outlets should be vertical ie. roof line. Not to be fitted opposite boundary lines, etc. and due to this it would not always be possible to fit a condensing option.

Reply to
Colin eclipse 2

Only relating what we were told - no specific information in the handouts.

Warm air is not affected by legislation - to improve efficiency, lagging the ductwork was suggested.

There is still a huge market for back boilers (replacements) - no condensing models available (we were told)

Reply to
Colin eclipse 2

ISTR somewhere reading that condensing boilers would be the norm "unless not feasible due to overriding considerations" I took this to mean where no means of disposal of condensate to a suitable discharge point could be provided. Many back boiler sites could be adapted with a discharge point but not all. Listed buildings would also be likely exemptions to avoid ripping the place about unreasonably. As with all these Prescott department edicts expect it to be a total c*ck-up (IMHO)

Reply to
John

So just tittle tattle.

The USA has condensing forced air units. J&S have add on condensing units, that a conventional flue runs through. There is no reason why forced air can't follow suit for new builds, exceptions should be here for replacements as drains cannot be installed in many situations.

True none available. and it will be near impossible to get a drain fitted to them. Back boilers are waste of time anyway: noisy, drag in fluff, have large vents in the room that cause drafts. A waste of time.

Reply to
IMM

AN your opinion is useless.

Reply to
IMM

Hmmm.... It depends very much on the model and how effective the condensate collecting arrangements are and the operating conditions.

The only time that I have noticed anything resembling a plume at all from mine (MAN Micromat) is when I have deliberately contrived an artificial situation of a full cylinder of cold water being heated on a very cold day, and then it is for a very short time. Under those conditions delivery of condensate is very rapid - a solid trickle. The rest of the time, there is very little difference between it and non condensing models that neighbours have.

The sensible thing for flats that are being newly built would be to do what is done in Germany and run the flue vertically to the roof.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall