Ariston ceramic hob

Our Ariston ceramic hob has shattered and Ariston appear to have gone out of business. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace it with another make ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Induction all the way - even if you have to buy new pans.

Reply to
polygonum

There should be no problem: is the current worktop laminate or stone? If the latter you want to find one that will fit in the current cutout; if the former, it's not essential but will make life easier.

They're horribly expensive here, but you might want to check out induction hob options. Much better AIUI than traditional ceramic hobs

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Why are there very few free standing induction cookers? I noticed that the other day.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't know - but we have one. Not in a position to change kitchen over to integrated/built-in/separates so decided to pay the extra for one. I guess that relatively few who can afford that extra would not choose to go for separates. I really struggle to think of any way in which it is not better than the previous ceramic hobbed cooker.

Probably a gross exaggeration, but it feels like we have saved the extra cost in reduced electricity usage. There is far, far less excess heat rising from the hob, especially when using smaller pans. Much less reason to switch rings on ages ahead because it is going to take so long to heat up the pan. And I am sure we save loads on hob cleaner.

As a bonus, the ovens give very little heat into the kitchen.

Reply to
polygonum

News to me, Ariston is still a respected make and a current brand in Italy.

Generally hobs tend to fall into a narrow range of standard sizes so yes.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes - is the OP sure? Ariston are in the same group as Indesit and Hotpoint

- Merloni Elettrodomestici.

The company that was threatening bankrucy in 2008 was run by the brother of the the bloke who runs the above - a similarly named company called: Antonio Merloni who owns Ardo, HomePub and Technogas brands, and also owns Asko Sweden

This is the source:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to replace it with

Reply to
Tim Watts

=E5=9C=A8 2012=E5=B9=B410=E6=9C=8816=E6=97=A5=E6=98=9F=E6=9C=9F=E4=BA=8CUTC=

+8=E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=887=E6=97=B602=E5=88=8604=E7=A7=92=EF=BC=8CJim Hawkins=E5= =86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

zhengkaiyan60

I agree. It makes cooking a joy vs the previous type of electric hob i've had.

Reply to
R D S

But you will also need to buy pans with an iron base.

Reply to
harry

on ebay Suggest getting it and transferring the one spare part you need to the one you have.

Or get new ceramic

also a thing that you may find in the local tip.

I am still looking for the plastic work on my 30 year old hotpoint washing machine..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Excellent. A good excuse to buy a decent hob. Get an induction one if you want to stick with the look, or gas if you want to be able to cook on it properly.

Reply to
Huge

Burning your house down to heat a saucepan is better than resistive ceramic hobs.

Reply to
Huge

+1 for the gas.
Reply to
John Williamson

Assuming you HAVE gas of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or you can use bottled gas. That's what we have, as there's no mains gas in our area.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Indeed you could. But, now I have been using an induction hob for over a year, I think I woud actually choose it over gas.

Less heat sweeping up the sides of pans. Less chance of burning a pan handle or, indeed, of pan handles simply getting too warm for comfort. Fewer burned arm and hand hairs. Less smell of gas. Easier to clean. Very much easier to set a burner at a low "keep warm" level.

Certainly if you wish to achieve the fierceness of a wok burner, gas is the only option. Gas is also better for burning the skins of peppers. And, in an ideal world, I would probably choose four induction and two gas. But this ain't a perfect world. Yet.

Reply to
polygonum

I've thought about getting a portable single-burner induction unit...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Some of them get quite good reviews. But obviously a non-starter if you'd need to buy new pans for the one ring!

A few weeks ago our kettle started leaking so we reverted to our as-cheap-as-you-can-get-from-Asda spare and looked for a replacement. As we went round and looked at the various designs available it struck me time and again that an induction kettle should be developed forthwith! (And I do mean basically an induction ring and special kettle - not simply a kettle that works on an induction hob.)

Although we are not inundated by reports of people being killed by cordless kettle bases, I am never that happy at the relatively accessible live contacts.

For those who like hot milk, a special small milk kettle option could be offered. And that could have a maximum temperature appropriate to milk. And maybe that would make a perfect soup-warmer as well?

Given some form of communication between the kettle and the induction base, temperature control would be easy to provide. And with even a tiny amount of current available, maybe from the induction or by a low voltage contact, the kettle could have LEDs. (I really want a kettle that lights up inside when you are filling it. So many filling scales are unreadable when you need them - but light up when it is heating up.)

I could go on and on - but most of you probably think I have already drivelled on long enough...

Reply to
polygonum

My pressure cooker is 'induction ready', as are my cast iron skillets.

I use the microwave for milk and soup-warming, right in the cup/bowl they'll be served in.

Reply to
S Viemeister