Argos Challenge SDS Drill

Page 2 of 2

I have the Argos one and I can definately turn rotation off. There's a big knob near the chuck mechanism that you have to rotate.
I agree the lack of trigger lock is a PITA. Still, can't complain for 30.
Jon.
Tournifreak wrote:

Yeah, I found that turns powered rotation off (ie. for non-drilling work) - but it didn't lock it so you couldn't rotate it yourself (or by vibration). In my case the chisel might be facing North/South when I start, but after a few seconds its rotated itself 90 degrees slowly to East/West.
I did notice though that the switch/knob at the back of it wouldn't go right to the hammer part - it looked as if it needed to move another couple of degrees - but no matter what forcing I did - I couldn't get it to go that final part. I assumed it was just a feature of the knob. I will check though whether the chuck needs to be at a certain angle before it can lock - but I doubt it.

Nope - did what I needed it to do.
David
I'm just about to set to ripping up a concrete floor and chase out some walls for pipework, sounds like this would do the job, does it come with chisels?

If you mean ripping up a whole floor, then don't use an SDS drill for it - they aren't up to it. Hire something to do the job.
It will chase the walls, but I would not want to hold one of these cheap heavy jobs up for too long.
--
Chris French, Leeds

not the entire floor, just an area large enough to sink a bath into the floor about 6 - 8"

I still wouldn't use an SDS for it, it will take ages, and possibly knacker it.
ISTM that the chiselling function of an SDs is really a replacement for that where you might have done it by hand with a hammer and cold chisel or bolster, - chasing, cutting out holes for back boxes cutting out holes for waste pipes etc.
They aren't breakers.
I'd still hire a small light weight breaker/demilition hammer.
--
Chris French, Leeds

chris French wrote:

Would you use one for removing tiles Bathroom tiles floor to ceiling on every wall
(Previously removed tiles by hammer and chisel and it was a PITA)
Regards
Hays
T610 Housings in stock now!! www.phonepro.go.to

Yes, that's fine, you can buy wide bladed chisels for just this job.
But this is certainly a case where I would want to steer clear of these heavy cheapo drills - my Stayer, which is a fairly typical weight is about 2.5 kg, that's enough for this sort of job.
--
Chris French, Leeds

snip

I just spend the weekend doing exactly that.
No probs whatsoever using a Bosch PBH2200, which is available for about 90 from Argos. As others have said I wouldn't like to think about using a cheapo drill for this sort of job, where you may spend some time with the drill at or above head height
I did fork out another 30 quid for a tile chisel, which offers a decent improvement over the narrow chisel bit I was using before with less likely hood of digging into the wall when chiselling. 30 for one bit seemd a lot initally but I've a complete kitchen do to as well so I could happily justify this purchase to myself.
cheers
David
hays wrote:

Bought a gadget from Tilemates (or similar sounding name) for removing tiles.
Basically a 4" square of steel plate sharpened on one edge. Opposite edge has a bit of 3/4" square bar welded along it. Attached to this bar is an angled handle. Holding the handle you bring the sharpened edge down the wall between tiles and wall. The mass of the square bar provides enough momentum to rip tiles off walls in great sheets with little effort.
Come to think of it, it looks a bit like a small adze.
Oh and it was some completely forgetable, i.e trivial, price.
HTH Richard

That sounds like the sort of thing I could do with, instead of the wallpaper scraper and 'Brickies' trowel. Anybody know what this is actually called and where I could get one? We don't have a Tilemates in Leeds.
TIA
John