Argh pipe sealant

Why can't somebody invent some sealant that absolutely utterly REFUSES to stick to fingers and ONLY sticks to porcelain and PVC???

The absolutely only way if getting some sealant into my toilet connection without somehow passing the sealant tube through the fabric of the pan and rotating my shoulder through

360 degrees was to squeeze a gob of it onto my fingers and smear it around the pipework, and as soon as I remove my hand it all remains on my fingers instead of on the pipework.

Grrr.

I Hate Plumbing.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I found, on ebay IIRC, some modellers' syringes with 90 degree nozzels on the end. Despite the small diameter of the bore, I could get silicone sealant through it. I only needed a touch to inject in the plastic bush around the flush pipe which had a slight weep.

Makes you wonder why noone has invented 90 degree nozzels for regular sealant - sure there'd be a market for all those behind the bog jobs...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Have you tried wearing latex or vinyl gloves when doing jobs such as that? Usually works for me.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

On my fingers, I don't mind - it wipes off and the remains dissipate fairly quickly. I hate getting in on my shirt - permanent then.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why does it need sealant? Modern collars with several flappy rings inside seal without any goop. A bit of lubricant I can understand as without they can be quite tight.

Is the porcelain really so far off round that it won't seal? In which case reject the bog and get one with a rounder outlet.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It used to be traditional to use something like Denso Tape to seal such connections, finished off, if the connection is visible, with Denso Paste to give it a polished appearance.

-

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Excellent. You are hereby nominated to join the

Old Bastards Group.

Reply to
Ian

had some Forever White silicone which came with one of these nozzles

- don't know if they still do.

andrew

Toilet previously leaked, dissolved floor. Have had floor replaced, I think the millimetre difference in height is just enough to move the alignment with the soil pipe (fixed immobilly into the wall) just enough to just pull the coupling out of true.

I'm not sure until I let it all dry out and add more sealant, but I think the porcelain-coupling seal is ok, I think it's the coupling-soilpipe join that has a microscopic leak.

On the underside as well.... :(

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

We had to replace a few pans in school and found the best way to seal them was to smear the flappy bits with a small amount of Vaseline before inserting them .. made it easy to get in and always sealed effectively.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Aren't you supposed to use washing up liquid? Vaseline being a petroleum product may have an adverse effect on the seal life. But if you want repeat business I guess that's an advantage.

Reply to
dennis

I don't like those for anything needing dexterity as they are too loose. come off etc.

But a wodge of latex or whatever gloves are cheap and handy for all sorts of things

Reply to
chris French

Dunno .. ;) I'm caretaker at the school, so hope it's _not_ repeat vusiness!

Seems to have worked so far >4 years so fine by me. (You watch it start to leak next week!!)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Nobbollocks! I wish I knew about that before I had to do my behind-the-bog sealing!!!

Bookmarked and ta!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Last time I made off a bog joint to cast iron, which was admittedly around

1984, the pan connector came with a little bag of gease for this purpose - I assume it was silicone grease (plumbers grease).
Reply to
Tim Watts

I recommend silicone grease (plumbers, not white electronics stuff) - you are guaranteed safe with that and it has about the same consistency as vaseline.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Heh, makes sense ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I hope youre not the bloke off the Aldi ad :)

NT

Reply to
NT

I gave up on them - all sorts of stuff commonly used in DIY projects seems to weaken them, and it'd feel like I was spending more time replacing torn gloves than I was just getting on with the job.

I've got some citrus-based hand cleaner these days which seems to shift pretty much anything afterwards.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

No, silicone spray or grease.

He's a caretaker you pillock.