Are we really supposed to believe that - DG

Just been getting some quotes for replacing all of the double glazing with new, as an alternative to repairing wooden sills.

One of the companies rang back thee days after submitting their quote to suggest the could do it a bit cheaper as they already had some of the windows in stock and surplus to requirements, so we could have them for free.

It sounds more like the old trick of quoting for the job, thinking they have not got it - so lets try a slightly cheaper quote to tempt.

What say the panel?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As DG units are often made to the exact size for each order, unless you have exactly standard sized window, this seems unlikely

tim

Reply to
tim....

So where has the money for the frames and glass magically come from?

Not a high pressure selling technique I've heard of but it has all the hall marks. Was there a this week only 50% discount if you sign now...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

tim.... explained on 11/07/2011 :

Exactly - a fit in one measurement is very unlikely, a fit in both measurements the odds against would be astronomical.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Which are every common, hence the likes of Wickes being able to sell standard sized units off the shelf. I've used them on more than one occasion with a very good fit.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

'negotiation position'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

old Crittals steel windows.

Check the warranty terms are the same. If they charge "labour only", your "free" windows may only be covered up to what you paid for them - nought.

Reply to
dom

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Liars, walk away.

I ask for best price first time, every time (usually in component procurement) but it tends to focus peoples minds when you tell them that you wont accept quote adjustments at a later date.

Reply to
fred

Are they not intended to be used on a new build, where you can match the hole in the wall to an easily available window size?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

harry was thinking very hard :

But very unlikely for our house, it predates double glazing.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

harry explained on 12/07/2011 :

I put the last lot in lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Damn, you've got me thinking now.

Last lot I did, it was a matter of hauling the frame complete with glass into place, back breaking job. They don't do it that way now, bare frame fixed in place, then put the glass in - easy peasy.

Just one snag, the bay. its a wooden framed structure, centre panel with two side panels at 45 degrees. How would that be tackled in UPVC?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Checking the DIY fit option out, it actually only saves about 25 to 30% of the cost at a rough estimate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There's been standard sizes for years. Ours are (all but the one I didn't measure!), 30 odd years old. Some installers just use metric sizes and pad them out to fit them in Imperial holes.

The better ones don't. Best to check out each firm with known previous customers, IE recommendations from satisfied customers that you personally know.

Reply to
<me9

The "fitting" part of the cost of professional installation is tiny.

How much DIY saves you depends upon how good a price you can negotiate for the actual windows (and the warranty). Some installers simply wont give you a good deal however hard you try. Some will give you a good deal immediately

tim

Reply to
tim....

Yes, but what were standard windows used a standard width opening casement so the total width was n times this + n+1 times frame. IIRC the standard widths were something like 630, 1200 and 1770

Reply to
Tony Bryer