Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ???

As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately.

Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to work.

Or is there something more serious ??

Reply to
itsafluke

Yes, based on there being a re-sharpening charge when I hired one.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

good thinking

Reply to
itsafluke

The message from itsafluke contains these words:

I find with impact tools they seem to work better if you leave them loose so they dance rather than leaning on them.

Reply to
Guy King

|!Are u supposed to sharpen breaker chisels ??? |! |!As my dewalt breaker does not seem as good lately. |! |!Are u supposed to lean on them with all your weight to get them to |!work. |! |!Or is there something more serious ??

Yes *all* chisels need resharpening regularly. I use a small bench grinding wheel something like

Dave Fawthrop

I always do...

Have you lubricated the shank of the bit from time to time? That will stop the bit sticking in the chuck.

Reply to
John Rumm

All chisels rely on transmitting a force -thump - onto a thin "working end'. iIn a sense the 'working end' acts as a force multiplier concentrating the 'thump' onto the work-surface - and in the case of a 'breaker' overcoming the integral bond-strength of the material. The 'finer' the working edge - the less 'Thump' is required; double the width of the working edge (let it get blunted- and guess what .... ?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You can do.

As someone else has mentioned, apply some lubrication to the end of the bit that goes into the chuck, also, if it's not a dedicated breaker but a drill as well, insert a drill bit and drill half a dozen holes - this is reccomended from time to time to prevent the internal mechanisms from seizing into one position

Reply to
Phil L

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That is a good point. My Makita loves a bit of grease on it's shank but my DeWalt manual tells you not to use it. They both need some pressure to make the SDS start to thump.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I use a dangle grinder + grinding disc, but they have one gotcha. They run at such high speeds that they'll overheat the workpiece and ruin the temper very quickly. So use with care not to let the chisel tip heat up.

BTW I've found grit discs quicker going than diamond on HSS. Still not too sure why.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

|!On 9 Feb, 18:43, "The Medway Handyman" |! wrote: |!> Dave Fawthrop wrote: |! |!> > Yes *all* chisels need resharpening regularly. |! |!> I use an angle grinder. Or a bench sander. |! |!I use a dangle grinder + grinding disc, but they have one gotcha. They |!run at such high speeds that they'll overheat the workpiece and ruin |!the temper very quickly. So use with care not to let the chisel tip |!heat up.

Then put a container of water next to the grinder and dip the work piece regularly. In engineering shops this is always present.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

HSS offer a resharpening and heat-treatment service for breaker steels even if you do not hire anything. Last time I used the service it was about =A33 per steel IIRC. I found that re-sharpening them myself without the heat treatment was a waste of time.

CRB

Reply to
crb