are these quotes for door-hanging reasonable?

Not strictly a DIY question, so I hope this is OK. You guys will surely know the answer...

My wife recently got quotes from three carpenters for hanging 6 internal doors plus a front door. One of the internal doors is a cupboard door which will need cutting down a bit. Doors are pine (internal) and acacia (external).

Quotes are =A3570, =A3576, and =A3690. All are for labour only; we'll suppl= y the ironmongery.

A bit steep, surely? Did they think my missus was a bit simple?

Or am I way out of date and these prices are what you'd expect to pay nowadays? I was thinking more like =A3300 for, what, a day and a bit's labour?

Michael

Reply to
hanrahan398

It does seem a little expensive to me, though i would estimate at 3 days rather than a day and a bit. It'd be quite possible to do it in 2 days if all frames are good. Fitting to diamond shaped frames is a pita, and takes ages to get it good. Fitting to good, square, standard sized frames is easy. Also, front doors take a lot longer than internal doors - easily 4 hours if any cutting has to be done. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

That would depend on where in the country you are.

Reply to
Skipweasel

ROFL!

London/Surrey border.

Michael

Reply to
hanrahan398

I'd agree 100% with that.

Problem is; if you qoute 2 days labour & it takes 3, you are out of pocket. If you quote 3 days & finish in 2 or 2 & a bit the client doesn't want to pay for 3 - even though you couldn't book any other work on day 3.

Trouble is you don't know till you start.

Plus letterboxes etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Point taken. What do you reckon on the quoted prices though? Another one has now arrived from a guy who says =A3480.

The frames doubtless aren't too great, and the old internal doors were

45mm thick whereas the new ones are 34mm, so stops will have to be moved, but at least the front door will have a letter hole already cut.

Michael

Reply to
hanrahan398

Surprisingly, not all "carpenters" are that good at hanging doors. Those that are tend to work for door shops full time. Supply and fit quotes are usually the most competitive IME

Reply to
stuart noble

In my experience, door hanging is not one of those things you want to get the cheapest quote possible especially if the frames are out a bit. If doors don't fit well (e.g. common gap around, hinges in properly, fits well at the bottom so you don't have a howling gale/ the dog/ cat using it to get in :) ) I find it very noticable and it looks bad. If you are painting them, you can remedy some of this afterwards but that that's not really the point I guess. It seems that someone who takes their time to do it right (and has the ability of course) is more important.

I have recently had all my doors replaced. Luckily my brother-in-law is a chippie and does a very good job so didn't go out to others for comparative prices (and he was rebuilding my house anyway!!). I would think he did about 4/5 doors in a day and the front door (including letterbox, knocker, 2 locks, security pins etc.) took just over a day. I too live in Surrey so think the =A3570 type figure sounds about right to me....

Reply to
Lee Nowell