Are there any quality boilers/manufacturers, at any price?

The marketing men did.

Not so. They are half the size ans weight.

Because they are Luddites who are a part of near cartel.

Now you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There are two-stroke diseel trucks. The Commer TS-3 was two-stroke.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Go and ask in the pensioners drop-in centre.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He said gas.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Which one? ATAG or Intergas?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Highly unlikely.You also have soot and they pollute where people are.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You certainly take notice of them. others have more sense.

Size makes a difference to fuel consumption? Weight does to some extent - but if it was that important, all diesels would be less economical than petrol because like for like they weigh more.

Quite the opposite of you, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You seem to have a problem with are and was. Commer went out of business in 1979.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Commer two stroke opposed piston engine is well worth checking out - it's quite amusing.

Reply to
Clive George

My father sold trucks at the time the Commer was current - and it was a very good performer compared to trucks of the day. So much so that they were chosen to transport fish from Aberdeen to London, in a 'door to door' time which was competitive with rail, but cheaper. Sadly, they were pretty unreliable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What, the OP? I musta missed that. In any case, I said oil.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I seem to recall that they ran two stroke engined buses in Dublin. Certainly when I was there in 2002, many of the buses sounded much higher reving than normal bus engines. In fact, a bit like this one.

Tim Downie

Please read what I wrote, not what you wish I'd written. *Overall* pollution from a diesel train may be less than *overall* pollution from an electric train. Fuel efficiency from fuel supply to wheel in a diesel train is better then fuel efficiency from fuel supply to wheel on an electric train, especially in this country, where a sizeable proportion of the electricity used is generated by burning coal.

Reply to
John Williamson

Abandoned by the makers half a century ago as too complex, too expensive to produce and too inefficient. Next...

Reply to
John Williamson

Especially the way that the supercharger was driven off the crankshaft by a differential gear arrangement which meant that the harder it worked, the higher the boost pressure got. Three cylinders, six pistons, two crankshafts...

Reply to
John Williamson

Commer was part of the Rootes Group which went near bankrupt. Car makes they owned included Humber, Hillman, Singer, Sunbeam and Talbot. Were taken over by Chrysler who also failed. The European side was sold to Peugeot. Another classic example of a UK car company who failed because they didn't invest in enough new models. The one which they did - the Imp - had many design flaws when introduced. Which, of course, were blamed on the workforce. Although there were problems there - the government of the day forced them to build a new factory in a part of the world not used to car building - Linwood, Glasgow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not quite sure I understand the logic of that. is there an inherited gene which makes car building easier? If so, how did Toyota succeed at Derby?

Reply to
charles

Not a gene as such, no, but in the Derby area, there is a history of car and aircraft building, so the workforce were used to working at that scale before Toyota opened the plant. In Glasgow, the engineering background was in shipbulding, and the skills aren't so easily transferable.

Reply to
John Williamson