Are recirculating cooker hoods any good?

As per the subject really... I'd love a proper extractor, but due to the location of the cooker, ceiling, etc. it's just not going to happen, so was wondering about the filter/recirculating types. Not looking to remove moisture just hopefully cut-down on a bit of the hot fat fug created when cooking e.g. steaks at a million degrees C (or as hot as I can get the pan!)

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

They do trap grease - make sure it's got dishwashable mesh filters.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have one for the same reasons, impossible to fit extractor.

Mines a NEFF which seems pretty good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No ability to run a rectangular on top of wall units? Knowing, from experience, how much an extractor to the outside improves (aka reduces) the humidity in a kitchen I think I'd be tempted to run a rectangular duct through the top back of cupboards if necessary. You're not likely to miss the space taken by the duct.

A good one will do that, if you have a dishwashing machine then the metal filters that you can put in a dishwasher would be better than yukky disposable filter pads. If might be worth getting one with an activated charcoal filter to reduce odours but that is a consumable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not just the humidity, but the heat too. When we moved here a couple of years ago, I had assumed that the hob hood vented to the outside as the cooker was built into an old chimney breast. There were two chimney pots, one of which was joined to the lounge Wood Burning Stove flue. I assumed the other was joined to the hob hood, until one day I had four burners going full pelt. The kitchen got uncomfortably hot! When I checked, I found that the hob did not vent to the outside at all, but just recirculated. I still have no idea what the other chimney pot is for.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The ceiling isn't that high and behind the cooker is neighbours bathroom. To the left and right are neighbours kitchen and my dining room respectively. Up is a chimney - but it's boarded up and filled with vermiculite beads - contains the gas burner exhaust flue (it's a Stanley Range cooker - rayburn-like)

And the beams run left to right too, and reaching up, I can touch the beams.

Picture painting a thousand words and all that:

(that was some years ago and things are slightly different now, but the cooker hasn't moved!)

It looks like a very thin pipe might run on-top of the wall units to the left in that photo, but carrying on the wall is a staircase...

Yes, we have dishwasher, so it looks like a matter of finding one that will fit for us.

Thanks!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

In article , Gordon Henderson writes

Hmmn, where is the sink and how big is the waste pipe?

Any chance you could use the air space in the waste to vent to an open gulley or hopper?

Clever use of Hepvo one way valves (trap substitutes) could avoid sucking or blowing through existing traps.

I don't think it would ever take full cooker hood flow but it might make things more bearable.

I think you'd probably need to grow your own hood (or have fabbed) but that would probably be more in keeping with the rustic look anyway.

Reply to
fred

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

I find Oxyclean is excellent and cleaning these filters

Reply to
bert

One of the stacks here has three pots. We could only ever find two fire places, until we stripped out what we were using as office space. We then fond the site of the old copper washing boiler and flue...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So the nearest outside wall is the fourth one?

The vermiculite would make getting something up/down there "fun", assuming there is space probably not in a single flue. Is there another available, maybe from a fire place upstairs?

Pictures do, great help.

The standard flat duct is a tad under 55 mm, might fit. But you have a long horizontal run. Long will add resistance to flow so might need something larger (double up?) and horizontal means any condensation may sit and fester unless you run the extract long enough (FSVO "long") after cooking to dry the inside.

Oh poo... Can you get access to the void above your dining room?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Tricky - one outside wall is behind where that photo was taken from the other to the right - well half a wall. This is an old barn that was on the side of the house and "adapted" in the 50's (we think) by making the outside of the main house a covered alleyway into the kitchen.

Just dug-out the original photos I took - gulp - nearly 12 years ago!

Cheers,

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

In article , Gordon Henderson writes

Ok, another thought.

Use a compact hood with a grease filter and then duct the output across the top of the units on the left towards the wall with the sink and outlet at the end of the units.

Then place a conventional extractor on the outside wall.

With both in place and turned on, most air will be extracted from the cooking area into the general kitchen area and then be extracted to the outside world by the second fan unit.

Far from ideal but loads better than what you have or already or what you would get from a recirculator.

Alternatively, skip the first part and have an extractor on the outside wall but expect more grease on the walls around the stove.

Reply to
fred