are purlins shared by semis?

"Ed Sirett" wrote | However the arrangement is uncommon round here and

(a) | this was one of the first council houses ever built and (b) | one of the first houses built since 1666 without a fire | break adjoining properties.

Possibly (a) and (b) are not unrelated :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

AFAIK it always has been the Northamptonshire Watford. The problem arisees from the educationally challenged southerners who only know about the London suburb. (And yes I do know it is in Hertfordshire).

Reply to
Roger

Sign (on A1?) says "Hatfield and the North".

Sort of sums up Londoner's views of the rest of the country.

Reply to
Mike

No, it's the view of the Highways agency or whoever puts up the signs.

"The South" is signposted on the A1 at Ferrybridge, about 7 - 8 miles south of where I live (not due south).

Well, yes, thinking about it, I suppose that's about right.

But what's the area between the "North" and "South" signs ... it can't all be the Midlands :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To the best of my knowledge it was built in 1915 and one of the first houses to be built with the then new-fangled hollow cavity walls.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

I haven't been North of Scotch Corner for 40 years or more but it certainly used to be the case that however far North you got on the A1 The North was always further North. These days I tend not to remember what the signposts said for more than the odd half second so have no idea what the signs on the A1 say when going South even though I drive the section from the M62 to the A14 regularly.

Reply to
Roger

Yes, but it starts in Herts!

We've got to that age too:-)

That's the section we use and there are always snide comments about the sign. I suspect it might be because there are two of us, if I were alone I couldn't be bothered!

Mary>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ignore the 'the' and it makes sense for most travellers. After all, the London Underground goes on about northbound or southbound, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you'll find it's A1 South (and there is an A1 North pointing the other way)

Reply to
No Spam