Are Poundland "Duracell" batteries fakes?

We went through all of this a little while ago after I raised the same point. The conclusion was that it isn't actually salt, but a replacement water softening agent.

I don't use tablets at all - I use powder from 10kg tubs. Even Adsa are probably relatively expensive!

Reply to
Bob Eager

We use good old-fashioned plain dishwasher powder, and will continue to do so for as long as it's available. It's nice to have control over the quantity added.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No need

They replace the function of the softener which normally salt is used to regenerate.

A good thing, because it wouldn't do it any good.

But then you have to go into Asda.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In the grand scheme of things is that such a bad idea?

Reply to
Matt

There are only two powder drying plants in the UK, one owned by Lever & the other by P&G. Any washing powder 'made in the UK' comes from one of these companies.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I used to use IKEA's (repackaged Varta) but had several leak. I now used GP (Gold Peak) bought in packs of 40 from CPC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How much is alkali these days. I should imagine that with some caustic soda a lump of zinc and few coppers, I could make a fortune.

I was once told by a small shop keeper that if I wanted to have my name on everyone's lips I only had to buy a million batteries and they would be willing to put whatever I wanted on them. Of course if I had the money for a million batteries, I could make my own.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I just turn the softener on my DW down to '1' so there's a bit of both.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Indeed. Although they seem to say on the side that in hard water areas (I;d guess we count) salt maybe needed as well.

We fill our miele up with salt every now and again and it's set to the correct hardness for our area (from the water company) - no problem (and salt is cheap!).

these fancy things claim to make our stainless steel shiny (I don't care - dull'n'cheap will do me) and to stop our glasses going cloudy - again, don't care as glasses never last long enough in this house for that to be a worry.

Powder is ok but is a pain (gets damps, gets spilled on the floor etc etc). I'm happy to pay for the convenience of the tablets - just not the 30p a go that some of them are now!

Still, it seems that Tescos are now doing dual action ones again. Under 10p a go isnt quite as bad (and yeah, I know they can be found a lot less than that).

Darren

Reply to
dmc

But do you still put salt in? If you don't you could ruin the ion exchange resin and then you would always have to use a "salt" substitute tablet. I suspect that is their intention.

Reply to
dennis

But the mark up in this cases would be about 5000%....

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

I expect in a few years' time someone will invent genetically-modified promotional cold sores that erupt in the shape of product logos.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, I had some in the cupboard with a long date (I can't remember the brand, but it was a 'brand'). By the time that I got to use them they were still well in date .... and dead.

IME the long life date is a fiction.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

And how much of that do you think is profit? Just for starters, things such as button cells, just like razor blades in a supermarket, must be nicked by the thousand.

tox

Reply to
The Legend

No doubt the people in the factory worked for free, the electric company waived the bills for the plant, the bottling and processing kit was donated FOC by the manufacturer, the building was rent free and there were no charges for gas, water, sewerage etc..!????

I take your point though - it also bugs me that a 500ml bottle is about

90p and 1.5 litres is only about 30p more
Reply to
Linker3000

Wot? No caustic comments?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I live in County Durham, yes I know, someone has to, aside from that, there is a company not too far from where I live that deals with repackaging of item that are either near or past their sell by date and then they sell them onto shops like, but not necessarily, Poundland, Everything's a £ etc and even market stalls. They tend to employ, through and agency, a huge amount of foreign workers who will work for peanuts.

Reply to
the_constructor

The cost of the 500ml bottle and the cost of the 1,500ml bottle are virtually the same cost, the cap is the same cost and the label virtually the same cost, it's still around 2p per bottle to make including contents whether a 500ml, 1250ml, 1500ml or 2000ml bottle.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Yes, but 4 cans for £1 is not the cheapest you can get. Lidl often have

5 cans for £1 offers.

Bough energy saver (neon) bulbs for £1 at Poundland. Problem was they gave out a horrible clinical cold light as in a mortuary or something. But soaps and tooth paste cheap. You win some - lose some.

Reply to
johannes

These were the factory gate prices, including all overheads, profit, etc.

Reply to
Iguana