Are Jewsons always like this?

Couldn't remember, so just asked my wife (she taught some of the family). Yes, it was.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don't have a high expectation from post offices, so the issue doesn't really arise. If there are customers, it's reasonable to serve them.

Of course, as is "I'll take my business elsewhere"

This is the effect of an organisation that used to be a monopoly and thought that it was doing a great job at public service and is now getting a rude awakening that its Dickensian attitudes and practices are going to lead it to the abyss.

One example. We have Royal Mail losing contracts hand over fist even in the public sector and the staff are going on strike. You may argue that this is a different organisation, but most people see this as one entity. Rome is burning. What on earth do they think they are doing?

Did you say something about insurance cover being limited by the Post Office to certain operating hours? If so, what are they playing at? They should have 12x7 cover and the local post offices should be able to make their own business decisions about opening arrangements.

Is there anything left where one *has* to use the post office? I used to use a local one to renew vehicle excise duty on the cars but now have that organised straightforwardly on line. When we had child benefit a few years ago, I believe that could be paid directly to a bank account.

Nowadays, all I use the post office for is a once per month sending of documents to my accountant by Special Delivery. Last time it took 20 mins because of a couple of customers dicking around with assorted stuff and an inexperienced person behind the counter. Then they waste even more time nattering. If it happens again, that will be that. I can call Citylink, Business Post, DHL or whoever and have them pick up the package for £15. It would be cheaper overall.

Maybe this set up works where the customers are doing domestic transactions and have all day but it sure as hell doesn't work for small/medium business users.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well know for terrible service. Firmly stuck in a brown warehouse coat timewarp.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Does this get handed down from generation to generation?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Seems like it :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Absolutely Anything sold in B&Q I can get cheaper elsewhere, and I don't have to come into contact with the manatbandq type attendants.

-
Reply to
Mark

As I said, Morgans is a family business...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you suggesting someone's mother is also their sister?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Have to be careful here....!

But anything's possible in Medway!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry to spoil it, but I have no connection with B&Q other than as a customer.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

How very dare you...........

Now where did I leave that banjo................

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

LOL! Didn't think you were a 'native'...

But I do like watching 'Street Wars'....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Street Wars???

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Indeed - within predetermined times.

That is hardly news - we have discussed the ludicrous attitude of 'The Post Office' many times. Please don't ask me about Harry Potter first day covers, or you'll see a grown man cry.

Being f**king idiots, IMO.

The cover is indeed 24/7, but only if predetermined opening hours are adhered to.

They can, but within certain limits. Any extended opening hours must be agreed beforehand, and must be at all times, not just to suit the rare customer who arrives late, which was the point under discussion.

Probably not - prior to buying one I used POs for two reasons only, and alternatives are now available.

A common problem - a lot of regular customers come in, I'm sure, for the social interaction as much as anything. That, of course, is because PO staff are such happy, welcoming, chatty people :-)

It can, for those who get to know the office, and know the best times to visit. Yes, I know, you'll say 'Why should I?', and we'll go around in circles.

Reply to
Graeme

Fly on the wall police programme. Large proportion set in the Medway Towns, e.g. outside Aaron Stone's. Amusing at times...pops up on FreeView channels.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh no. Not in Kent surely. I knew it was common in Norfolk

Reply to
Andy Hall

As defined by who and changed how frequently to address market conditions and customer requirements?

Oh no. You're not having to deal with that crap are you? I'd charge them a *lot* of money.

circular problem.

Who has to agree and how much notice?

Well, yes. I know that the bad times to go are pension days, after school any day and after 1700 and of course Saturday mornings. Late morning and mid afternoon seem the best.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On 11 Jul 2007 17:28:40 GMT, "Bob Eager" mused:

Yep, Sky Three usually. Always reminds me of Dave, annoyingly. :P

Reply to
Lurch

Defined by the Post Office nationally, but by the local manager or sub postmaster. I gather the idea is that all POs everywhere will share common opening hours. Somehow, it does not seem to work in reality.

We receive the usual variety of stamps, cards, envelopes etc. for every new stamp issue. Always 40 First Day Envelopes (FDEs), of which I usually sell around 30. The Potter ones arrived yesterday, for sale next week. Only ten FDEs. Called the PO - why only 10? Please send more urgently. No, you can't have any more until next week sometime - we expect this to be a popular issue, and all allocations have been cut back. FFS! If the PO expect it to be a popular issue, why not print more, rather than cut back regular orders? Sending more envelopes sometime next week will be too late. What is the point of a First Day Envelope if it is not available on the first day of issue. I could cry. Honestly.

Only on a day to day basis, in that I cannot extend opening hours today, but not tomorrow. I can. For example, extend opening hours every, say, Friday, if I want/need to, but not just on Fridays when it seems like a good idea.

'The Post Office' have to agree, but I don't know the notice required.

I'm sure it varies, office to office. Our busy times are three until four each afternoon, because the last post leaves at four.

Reply to
Graeme

This really does illustrate how out of touch they are with reality.

This is just business incompetence. If they were doing it to create a more limited circulation in order to boost the value in the future, then fair enough - but then advertise it as such and jack up the price.

Can't the people responsible for this be identified and provided with P45s?

This doesn't really make sense.

Mmmm.... the one near me is collected from at around 1730.

Reply to
Andy Hall