Are Home Depot & B&Q linked?

And he is still missed.

Reply to
S Viemeister

+1

Seeing that post made me look at the faq page, as I was wondering how long ago it was now :

That lead to the tribute page:

Which kind of makes you realise just how many really interesting posters no longer seem to be about. Alas wodney and his many socks are not much of a substitute!

Reply to
John Rumm

We are all heading with increasing speed toward the end and none of knows when it wi

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

s/likewise/so instead/

FTFY

Reply to
Martin Bonner

replying to Andy Hall, bobby job wrote: I don't know who "Borrowed" whos ideas & schemes, or when, but just an FYI - B&Q were established almost a decade before Home Depot. Just that I don't like to automatically assume that everything was invented by the Americans, first.

Reply to
bobby job

replying to Christian McArdle, Catherine Dillinger wrote: Heading in that direction

Reply to
Catherine Dillinger

What?

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to Andy Hall, Emily A Dinwiddie-Cole wrote: I beg to differ, B&Q was founded in 1969, Home Depot in 1978, so Home Depot is a knockoff of B&Q.

Reply to
Emily A Dinwiddie-Cole

B&Q was a very small operation (in terms of number of stores) until their expansion in 1978/79. I hardly think Home Depot would even have noticed them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

replying to Andy Hall, Cw wrote: Except B&Q was founded 9 years before HD

Reply to
Cw

Did it occur to you the post you are replying to is from 2004?

And Andy Hall is dead (RIP) so he won't be seeing your reply.

homeownershub.co.uk are a bunch of lazy freeloaders who don't give a crap their shit site keeps encouraging people to reply to long dead threads.

Reply to
Tim Watts

replying to Andy Hall, Michael Aston wrote: B&Q were founded in 1969 and Home Depo was founded in 1978 so who copied who?

Reply to
Michael Aston

replying to Andy Hall, Machiavelli wrote: It's not that hard to put together. Imagine you had substantial resources. Live in one country. And are on vacation. You come across a business that's flourishing in a monumental level. (I lived in NYC for 30yrs. So I can factually tell you, @ one point H/S was the #1 stock pick for years).

You realize this retail concept has not been erected (in every aspect), in your home country. It's almost like free money. If the markets are similar, it's a no brainer. The world revolves around statistics. And all businesses are created around a formula (business plan). Being in a different environment is irrelevant, simply because, mathematically, If the premises are the same, the conclusion will always be the same. Hence the £220 million annual profits accredited on B & Q's Statement of cash flows.

Reply to
Machiavelli

[...]

Home Depot was created after B&Q so to the first set of comments that? ?s a load of shit!

Reply to
jimsteeze1

Hahahaha I swear yanks think the whole world revolves around them, b&q has been established longer than home depot, the likelihood is, home depot is the copy

Reply to
JONNY

Do we care even? B and Q used to be known as Block and Quailed as those were the surnames of the people who started it. I'm assuming they sold it and went off to live somewhere with a nice climate with their feet up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They both sold out fairly early but stayed in the UK , Quayle moved into the video hire business and built up a large chain of shops and then sold them to Blockbuster, he also backed an art gallery in Eastleigh which his wife took part in running and theatre productions He died from a heart attack while on a cruise in 2010 leaving about 4 million which would be a lot for most people but not really in the mega rich bracket.

Block had left earlier seemingly having decided the world of big business was not for him and went onto running an alternative medicine ,nutrition business in Derbyshire . I also have an inkling that at one time there were reports that he was also working as a driving instructor but ICBW on that. His desire to live a low key life seems to have worked as no easy trail to whether he is still around appears to be available.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I was in Florida last Christmas and went to a few branches of Home Depot - I couldn't help noticing they were very similar to B&Q but I felt they were a lot better.

I had similar feelings about Bunnings when I went to New Zealand - similar but a good deal better

Reply to
Murmansk

Block and Quayle, to be precise. SWMBO worked for them in the very early days (1979), although they had the Southampton place long before that.

Reply to
Bob Eager