Are glass coffee tables going out of fashion?

Is it true that glass coffee tables are/were a nineties thing and they are now going out of fashion? I'm trying to do up my flat in a contemporary style, but somebody told me it is better to have a solid wood or laquered table rather than a glass one.

What do you think?

Cheers :)

Reply to
azaminc

Walk around IKEA, Habitat and a few other 'designer' stores - you will immediately get the idea of what's 'in' or 'out'.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

I think you should follow you're own instinct. Nothing wrong with glass tables except a danger when you have young children.

Reply to
ben

I think that it's best to have what you like and what is useful rather than being a slave to fashion.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thas true I'm living like Sherlock Holmes(Victorian period) oh to have a time machine.

Reply to
ben

Remember, style and fashion are not necessarily the same thing! Some people buy new things merely because they are 'the latest thing', when they should be a little more critical.

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I've Just let a new flat in the centre of Manchester and was advised that glass is all the rage. It went on the market on 16th June, and it will be occupied from tomorrow.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

They seem all the rage for TV etc stands these days. So I'd guess they're back in fashion as tables too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if it has chrome legs...then its circa 1970/1980 design. its your choice if you like it!

steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

I think you should buy something you like rather than something you are told you should like.

Glass, in furniture, should not be a danger. Just make sure its toughened properly (even if you don't have kids).

If you have glass doors make sure they have stickers on them at the child's eyeheight so they don't run into them.

Reply to
dennis

Pure glass (legs and all) is quite popular at the moment.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There is quite a lot of glass furniture in the Argos catalogue, so I think it appeals to a "mass market"

The advantage of glass furniture is it makes the rooms look bigger.

Don't like it myself though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My daughters b/f's Mums house is full of glass everything .. PC units, HiFi units, TV units and even ornaments. She says he spends most of his spare time dusting everything. When I think of the abuse I have given some of our stuff (standing on units etc) I'm sure I'd break everything eventually. ;-(

To me it all looks very cold and dangerous (I know it's not etc) ... like something out of a film .. "The Crystal Palace" or summat ;-)

It amazes me with all these TV house makeover shows .. that someone buying a house can't see it for what it really is rather than what's on show? The fact it has to be 'dressed up' (coffee pot on, fire burning etc) and all signs of normal life hidden away elsewhere?

I can understand someone not wanting to do any decorating in a house they were going to rent and to a smaller degree a house you were buying but there's bound to be something you will change decorationwise anyway? Would you not buy a house just because the decoration wasn't your taste (considering how many other things make a real difference)?

Like buying a sound car that just needs the paintwork cutting back .. at least you can see nothing has been 'covered up' ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

The fact is - it works! (Not necessarily the coffee and the fire, but overall presentation). I could never understand it, but had to accept is as part of human nature.

Having said that - new builders decorate and furnish their houses to sell them. Retailers have impressive stores and displays, and get higher prices for their goods than the shabby local shop selling the same stuff.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

The beauty of glass is that you can use a damp cloth to remove dust etc without chance of damage, and that it doesn't need polishing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)