Are fitted ovens a standard size?

Door on our elcheapo fitted oven won't shut properly - feels like some spring or similar has given up. I'll pull it apart tomorrow and see if it is something trivil but given all of the numbers have vanished from the facia and it isn't all that good anyway thought has turned to replacing it with something half decent.

So, am I likely to be able to wander into a shop, buy an oven and fit it straight into the hole? We currently have a basic single fan oven from wickes (I think it was branded NewWorld or similar - all markings have long since warn away). A single fan would be ok - a double would be handy. Also, this one is fed from a 13amp fused spur - would a double oven need a bigger feed (if so, I suspect we will live with a single for now). Are all single ovens a < 13amp feed?

finally, any recommendations - John lewis has a nice miele oven but at over a grand costs more than the entire kitchen did (including the cheap oven :))

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Width and depth are fairly standard; height varies.

Usually, and usually a double oven would be >13A. But if you don't actually use both ovens at the same time, or stagger their use so diversity applies, you may get away with it. If you buy a nice double oven then it's an excuse to do some wiring work over the next bank holiday and put a proper cooker point in. :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, they're 60cm wide.

The vast majority of built in ovens only require 13A.

We've been very happy with our Zanussi.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from Grunff contains these words:

I'd qualify that to "single oven". I've only met two double ovens but they both required more than 13A.

Reply to
Guy King

Electrolux have a good range where the controls are at the side - allowing te top oven to be higher - and the knobs don't melt when you use the grill.

__

Reply to
John

Maybe single ovens, but aren't most double with one of them doubling as a grille?

My recently bought one needs a cooker supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Width will be intended for a 600mm cabinet. Height varies, usually in nominal 180mm increments.

This is very variable and should be checked on each model. You are unlikely to find a single oven which needs more than 13A, but still should check. Double ovens could swing either way, although these days tend towards needing 20A.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

One warning - if you've a gas hob above the oven - be aware of any pipe runs and factor those in to the space envelope. We replaced a single with a double (fan and fanless sections) - fantastic and simple to do, but the new oven was slightly deeper and fouled against the gas supply pipe. A quick examination behind the rear panel of the oven meant I could get the 16oz "adjuster" out and re-fashion the back panel to accomodate the pipe-work, but it was a close call.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I recently replaced an old double oven with a new one which was slightly shorter. And it stuck out by about 2 inches due to the gas water and central heating pipes running up the back of the housing unit. ;-)

Took most of a day to sort them.

Dunno if the fact is it was fan assisted and the old not made the difference. The actual ovens don't appear to be any deeper. Perhaps the insulation is thicker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A quick scout around currys seems to confirm this. Ta. Wickes appear to have changed the one they sell from "Newworld" to "Moffat" which on first impressions, appear crap so I'll pass on the...

Scanning about 20 different ovens in currys agrees - all single ovens

Reply to
dmc

Excellent. I'll take a look. Out of interest, does anyone know who makes the own brand john lewis ovens? They appear to have some high end features and seem a good price (and include a 3 yr warrantly). I'm also due a load of JL vouchers from my credit card so that appeals :)

Most of the ones I've looked at today appear to either be >500 quid or have really plastic and naff feeling knobs (oooerr missus).

Cheers

Darren

Reply to
dmc

The message from Grunff contains these words:

Once I'd replaced the apallingly stupid casing fan run-on timer[1] our AEG has been excellent. Much quicker to heat up that the old Bosch it replaced.

[1] Thermal switch with a heating element wrapped round it, bundled up in a silicone sheath to keep it warm. Self destructed after a few months, now replaced with a relay and timer.
Reply to
Guy King