are expensive paints like Farrow and Ball worth the extra cost?

Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

Reply to
vbleau

really good matt finish.

Reply to
John

I use Leyland paint and everyone I recommended it too seems very happy.

Reply to
EricP

In general, then yes. Farrow & Ball? No personal experience, but they're _really_ expensive.

Coverage generally isn't great (acreage per tin) although covering power (opacity per coat) is good, and you might save a coat by this.

Some years ago I saw a photo of a Regency room and decided I liked the deep red walls, so re-decorated to match. As usual, I hung up yard lengths of lining paper (14 or so!) painted with a sample pot of each colour I possibly liked (make sure you go right to the edge - a white border is distracting). After living with them for weeks I'd picked my colour and it was very obviously going to have to be the RIBA range stuff from Crown. =A325 / tin, but there was nothing to touch it for depth of colour and mattness.

OTOH, don't use this stuff with kids around - matter it is, more easily it marks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I used a tin of this to paint the dining room - covered bare plaster in one coat, looks great.

If it's a job I don't particularly enjoy like painting I'll pay extra for tools/materials that get it done quicker, sort of along the lines of 'my time is money'.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

IIRC F&B still stone grind their pigments, which takes longer and occupies more space, but results in a larger particle size. Certain dark, rich colours are best produced that way, but pastel shades are best dispersed with modern ball mills

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I think they are worth it if that's what you want..ultra flat finish and great color depth.

Nothing but, here. Trivial compared with the labour cost of repainting and if two coats does the color instead of three, you are quids in if paying a decorator..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Crown have stopped doing the RIBA range, I'd guess to to avoid paying the licence fee to RIBA. You can still get the former RIBA colours though. (When I worked for Crown we spent a lot of time mixing F&B colours in Crown paint so if you want the colour and a lower price that's the way to go.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I've used a lot of F+B paint in my house. I like the colours, and I like the fact that if I need to touch up a wall, then I will be able to buy matching paint.

The colour depth of dulux trade paints (and even Wickes trade emulsion) is just as good, and the coverage is better. Modern paints all seem to have very low VOCs (if you care). I also find F+B paints quite dribbly and difficult to use.

Have been using Beecks silicate paint and Earthborn claypaint recently. Both are a pleasure to use, and I absolutely hate painting!

tom.harrigan

Thanks very much for all the advice. It has been very helpful

Reply to
vbleau

All the pros I have spoken to, colour match F+B in their favourite trade paint - usually Dulux. All of them hate F+B paint!

tom.harrigan

Ditto ..... I have just painted exterior wooden window frames with the paint the customer bought. Two coats ... F&B. It was suppposed to be Lily White, but looked Cream and it seemed pretty runny compared to Dulux Weathershield though it did cover well. I would give it two years before it starts to peel on the sunny side of the house.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

oh, never use them for exterior work..or gloss paint either.

What they do well is deep color eggshell and matte.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably worth doing yet another plug for Crown decorator centres. Great places for top end product at a good price. Not as absolutely cheap as "Happy Shopper DIY", but they're selling the high-end products and they're a good deal compared to most places that sell similar.

I moved house a few months ago (Bristol to South Wales), must locate my nearest one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley