Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

:-)

Had thought of posting "Where a fused plug is required, use a 3A fuse" - but thought the age old issue of language would make that a bit silly. So kept it simple. I am sure our symbol-inventors can come up with something suitable...

[[ 3A ]]
Reply to
polygonum

IIUC it was done because the neutral supply line couldnt be counted on to n= ot be live. It would have made more sense, back when it was done, to use 2 = different fuse values for each L/N pair, eg 15A and 20A, to help ensure tha= t under normal polarity conditions it was the live that fused.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He did.

Keep up sunshine.

..and then the fuse breaks.

Pay attention. Then you use fuses other than 3 or 13A

Which is wrong.

Which is right. Good you are catching on.

Good you are catching on.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Now we're talking about what you'r told to do by the regulations or managme= nt that's in charge of your job, it is that simple.

Years ago we were told to check all plugs and replace any fuses that were w= rong with the correct fuse whether it was 3, 5 10 13 amp. Now wee not suppoosed to replace fuses where you need to open the plug up a= nd if you do so you need teh aplince PAT'd before it cane be re-used .

So NO common sense is NOT the correct method.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I've already passed you.

Only if the fuse is of a lower rating than the cable. you might fidn a 3 amp cable gets hot before the 13 amp fuse blows.

Which are availble.

No it isn;t .

But you can't buy such fuses for the standard 3 pin plugs.

Yep I know what I'm doing you clearly don;t if yuo'd put a 5 amp fuse in a 1kw fire.

Reply to
whisky-dave

opening the plug and checking fusing and terminals is part of a PAT test.

Reply to
charles

Why you shoud pout in the correct fuse.

IT IS dope! The fuse should never be great than the cable. If you have surge get an anti-surge fuse.

I know you do. You deliberately make electrical systems unsafe. You are some sort of pychopath.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is mad.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But surely this can't be done in most cases?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please give a supplier of such fuses that conform to the BS for 13 amp plug fuses?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

be sensible, if it's a moulded on plug, you can't do that.

Reply to
charles

This man needs to eff off.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Plantpot Fuses R Us ?

Once used a Farnell 60v 50A PSU that was wired to a normal 13A plugtop. On startup after being in cold storage you needed a small handful of 13A fuses that lasted about a few mains cycles so you could get enough charge in the smoothing caps to reduce the inrush. Once you'd done that it worked ok. It wasn't a case of reforming the caps as the were replaced, ideally it needed two plugs to the ring :)

Reply to
The Other Mike

And the 32mA fuses Drivel recommended

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Let me help you with a translation for that. What dribble was trying to say was:

The fuse should never have a greater rating than the fault withstand current of the cable. If you have a high inrush surge to deal with, then fit a 13A fuse since there is no such thing as a time delay BS1362 fuse, and a 13A will give adequate fault protection anyway while withstanding high inrush.

You're welcome.

Reply to
John Rumm

He did? Wow.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

< snip drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes exactly you put the correct fuse in not the 'calculated' value.

yes I know the plug fuse is to protect the cable.

You can't buy anti-surge fuses for standard 3 pin plugs.

How would putting the correct fuse in make electrical systems unsafe ? (unless the equipment was faulty or failed anyrequired test)

Reply to
whisky-dave

yes that's the point when PAT'ing equipment you test the equipemnt and any = leads that power it. With the IEC leads it can be cheaper and more efficine= t to buy a new lead rather than pay =A31.49p to have one tested. Unfortunalty some of our older equipment has dedicated leads so that's not = an option.

=20

Reply to
whisky-dave

Reply to