Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

really ?

A 3amp fuse will break as quick as a 13amp will iof you pass 15 amps through it I don;t think so.

Unless somethijng shorts circuits the buld of course.

After a set time depending on the curretn flowing and the lengh of time.

fuses don;t snap they burn out.

could be if it were on the cable.

Unless yuo need to.

That is not correct, you can't buy mains plug fuses in anti-surge. Those sort are commom as internal fuses for protecting the equipment rahter than the cable.

A while ago I brought some 20mm 32ma slow-blow for a piece of euipment.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In article , whisky-dave writes

Yes it is, you look at the appliance rating plate and if it's in watts not amps, apply Ohm's law.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So what fuse do you put in a fan that's rated at 50W a 3 amp ? As that's what's in the fan we brought and it has been PAT tested and passed.

for me 50/230 is NOT 3 So are you saying I should put in a ~250ma fuse instead ? As that's how I'd calculate it, but I'd put a 3 amp fuse in the plug as that's what the manufactuer did.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You forgot the switch on surge. the 50w is the running power

Reply to
charles

Exactly. There's also availability, and the fact that fuses below 3A often die of their own accord over time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

En el artículo , whisky-dave escribió:

Use your common sense.

BS1362 fuses are not available in 250ma, so a 3A fuse would be the best choice.

There you go then.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I can't help thinking that it would make sense for manufacturers to include "use a 3A plug fuse" on the rating plate. We see so many meaningless[1] symbols identifying all the standards it claims to follow

- why not a piece of potentially useful information?

[1] I know they are not all actually meaningless, but to a large proportion of end users of a lot of appliances, they might as well not be there.
Reply to
polygonum

Which would be wrong, because I as do others have to abide by the current ;=

-) legislation so calculating is less than half the battle. If I wass using cvommon sense I;'d use teh lowest fuses I have which is a 1= amp, but I use management sense which means 3 amp is chosen.

=20

yes I know and that's also why I said in another post ypou can;t use anit-s= urge=20

Yep, which is NOT arrived at through a calculation which is the point.

yep no calculation necessary=20

Reply to
whisky-dave

No I didn;t because I estimated that the switch on surge would be low for this type of applience well low is respect of the fuse rating.

How would you calculte the switch on surge if you needed to ? How would you allow for this value in the fuse you choose ?.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I wouldn't calculate it. It needs to be measured. and no, I don't have the correct meter for the job.

Reply to
charles

En el artículo , whisky-dave escribió:

If by 'management sense' you mean common sense, then we're arguing about precisely nothing :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

below 3A often die of their own accord over time.

If you use a mA fuse that's only barely adequate for the load there's voltage drop across it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Take the empirical approach

Reply to
bert

In message , whisky-dave writes

3 amp as opposed to 5 amp or 13 amp.
Reply to
bert

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Fusing the neutral must be one of the most brainless ideas ever.

Reply to
bert

Yes, it ain't necessarily a good thing :-) I had a look at a couple of strings of Chrimbo lights kicking around in the basement, and they're both using 3A fuses.

Well ours all seem to be rated at 15A or 20A (with a few at 30A for things such as the cooker).

cheers

Jules Richardson

Go search youtube for "arc flash" - even 240V supplies can be quite scary.

Reply to
John Rumm

The site as a whole is about plugs in general rather than fuses.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fans will usually have some form of induction motor. Inrush of 5 to 9x normal operating current is not uncommon for some of these. (a small desk fan will probably be a shaded pole motor - these have less inrush IIRC)

In some cases by the type of fuse - when trying to use a fuse for close protection, you have several versions of each rating available with different time constants.

Reply to
John Rumm

Might pee off most of the other countries in the EU though...

(Bonus!)

Reply to
John Rumm