Are 3 port heating valves a standard size ??

Hi

After 20 years the 22mm 3 port motorised valve in my heating system has died. I'm happy to replace it if it's just a matter of remaking the compression fittings and rewiring the new one but I'm not so keen if I have to move any pipework. So my question is, given my current valve is 20 odd years old is a new one likely to have the same physical dimensions regarding the positions of the ports? The one I have fitted is a "superswitch" brand.

Are all 3 port motorised valves the same in operation and wiring?

TIA

Reply to
LaserMark

LaserMark submitted this idea :

Probably, but do you actually need to change the valve? If it is only the motorised part which has gone you can just buy/replace that.

Can you turn the valves spindle easily - finger tips or maybe light pressure from a pair of pliers? No leaking - then it should be fine. Ours is 25 years old and fine. Not so the actuator which I have had to replace every few years.

No, you need to find an exact replacement for the one fitted. Over the years they will have modified/improved the design, but it should fit and work fine. Usually a five minute swap.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Some valves have slight differences in dimensions and also whether they are standard compression joints with nuts on the pipework or threaded bushes on the pipe and female threads on the valve.

Superswitch? - not Switchmaster?

Are all 3 port motorised valves the same in operation and wiring? All spring-return types are (give or take minor variations in wire colours) but I think you'll find that non-spring types probably have different arrangements. If you're reasonably au fait with electrics you'll probably be best following the wiring diagram of a manufacturer of spring-return 3-port valves e.g. Honeywell
just rewiring your system to the new standard. You can wire it all up on a terminal strip (aka chock-block) in a double socket box but some of the "wiring centres" make it a bit easier and neater to see what's going on. If all your CH wiring is currently stuffed into a single pattress (possibly along with the fused spur supplying the installation) Be Very Afraid :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Some have standard BSP threaded compression joints. Mine (Drayton??) seem to have a finer pitch thread, which means olives need removing to fit a different make.

Reply to
<me9

I don't think I've come across [m]any with standard threads - they all seem to be the finer threads. Anyone know what the origin of these is?

Reply to
John Stumbles

John

Thanks, you are absolutely right. My valve is the 'switchmaster' it is identical to the valve in the link you posted. If I understood the link correctly the switchmaster is not a spring return type. Mine appears to do a complete 360 degree rotation when going from one state back to the same state. Presumably the spring return type has some advantages as it appears to be the only type available in the sheds? Are you psychic? - yes - all my CH wiring is stuffed into a single pattress in the airing cupboard! Thank you Persimmon Homes...

Hopefully I'll be able to sort the wiring out. Unfortunately to save cable it was installed as a 10 programme system, so I can't have the heating on unless the hot water is also on. I don't see a way around this unless I run another cable back to the programmer.

Cheers

Reply to
LaserMark

There are programmers and cylinder thermostats with RF links.

It may be by employing one of these, you could free up enough wires to do what you want.

The receiver(s) can be located wherever you like as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:54:58 +0000, LaserMark mused:

Depending on the locations of the bits of equipment and how it was wired you could possibly alter the wiring configuration and sometimes recover a core or two where the cable has been effectively doubled up.

If you give us some idea of the relative physical locations I'll have a mull over it for a bit.

Reply to
Lurch

Stuart

Thanks for that. Will post back once I've worked out how everything is connected

Cheers

Reply to
LaserMark

Or, better still, programmable thermostats.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Can I just check: does your valve SAY 'Switchmaster' on it or does it say 'Superswitch'? I just want to know if it is the same valve badged as another make, so I can update the wiki page accordingly, or did you remember the name wrongly?

thanks

Reply to
John Stumbles