Archive material

I am fairly new to newsgroups but find this one particularly interesting. Only thing is, if I don't access it for a couple of days lots of stuff has disappeared, any way of retrieving posts from ,say, the past week? Mark Atherton

You could try Google Groups http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=uk.d-i-y
AndyP

interesting.
has
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=uk.d-i-y
Or, depending on your news reader software, set the retention time longer in the options menu. For Outlook Express, this is done from Tools / Options / Maintenance tab. Then read down until you find the phrase "Delete News Messages After" and the box will tell you how many days your machine is keeping them stored.
Mark Atherton wrote:

Go to <http://www.google.com/grphp?hl=en and search on <uk.d-i-y>

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
--
fred

fred wrote:

Yes - I should have suggested that.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:17:11 +0100, "Mark Atherton"

best to get away from outlook express and download a free program called "Free Agent". have a look at www.forteinc.com for the download links.
do a google search for free+agent+faq and you'll be away.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:21:51 +0100, Joe

Yes Agent is good, and google is great for searching past replies, goto http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=uk.d-i-y " click on the "search only" in uk.d-i-y button and search away
Chris
Mark Atherton wrote:

It depends on the ISP you are for the news groups. It sounds like you'd be better off using the web based one from Google which will allow you to see all the posts since they're all archived:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=uk.d-i-y
-Duncan

It is up to the news server you are using to determine how long posts stay around. My server hold 5 months of uk.d-i-y at present. Others I have used have only kept a couple of days. If you want to look back further, you need to find another news server (v. difficult, as you are usually locked into your ISP's) or use Google groups.
Christian.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:33:35 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

This lot hold it for 49 days I think, I use them to supplement my ISP
http://news.individual.net /
Free to sign up, but can take a week or so for the application to be processed depending on the Uni's staff hols as much as anything I think. Others get done straight away depending on when they apply.
They are very fast in use too - I use them for that feature alone, and call in every 10-15 minutes with my own news server round the clock. I then read using my various clients of choice. So far kept all since about April or May I think it was. "The Group" just went past 60 odd thousand posts this week! I suspect it'll quite easily be 100 thousand plus for the year when that happens. Just done for fun and convenience really.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Since disk space is cheap these days, why not just download the entire group? It will obviously take some time at first, but not subsequently - assuming you do it every few days. You can then set your newsreader to expire articles after a certain time - say 14 days - because if you haven't read them by then you probably never will. Any particularly interesting threads or articles can be locked or archived.
--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Hi Mark,
If you're using Outlook Express...
click on Tools click on options click on Maintenance you should see...
delete news messages [ x ] days after being down loaded.
set this figure higher
Thanks to all for the useful info. Mark

interesting.
has