architrave switch: daft question

Hi,

I have a crabtree patress box for an architrave switch and one end is marked "top". Is there any reason it has to have this end at the top? I ask because the top only has one cable entry; the bottom has two and I would like to drop two cables through the top. Is there a reason I can't install it upside down?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Because the switch will be 'on' in the 'off' position? (unless 2 way)

Reply to
nicknoxx

That was much first response, but Fred says 'patress box' not switch.

So no, I can't see any reason not to mount it the way he wants.

Reply to
chris French

He's talking about the backbox, not the switch. You can fit the switch on the backbox either way up.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

There's no obvious reason why the manufacturer elected to print "top" on the architrave patress. You can mount it either way up, unless Crebtree live in a strange universe where you can only mount the switch one way up relative to the patress.

Basically, if you can mount the switch either way (which I expect you can) then you can mount the patress either way.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I am not sure that you can on the Crabtree ones! Zoom in on the picture and look at the lug under the earth tag

I don't have one to check it with.

Unless you are fitting a retractive switch then it really does not matter as you will use a 2 way switch

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah, well spotted. As you say though, with a two way switch and a one way circuit, the problem can be overcome by installing both the patress and the switch upside down.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Or an angle grinder on the lug!

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah yes, could be.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks for all the replies. I have mounted the box upside down. The lug is a bit of a red herring, it does not foul the switch, so it seems the switch can be fitted in either direction.

TBH I'm not sure which way up my switch is fitted, I didn't realise until today that they had an "up" and a "down".

I can understand the need to have a top on other switches (e.g. FCU or

20A switch) that have a red bar painted on the rocker or the word "ON" to show that the switch is on but I've never seen a light switch with either of those markings; if wired 2-way, either position could be on or off on a light switch. Perhaps it's just cheaper for carabtree to print "top" on the backs of all their accessories whether they need it or not?

I've also fitted a crabtree 3-gang light switch this afternoon. I carefully trimmed some of the wires longer than others, only to find that the switch had "top" marked onto it and I had trimmed the wires to suit it the other way around. I was going to ask does it matter if I install the switch upside down to save me re-doing the wires but from the answers given already, it seems I will be fine to do so, which I have done.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

It saves numpties phoning them up to ask which way up the box goes!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Also some foreign parts reverse our convention for light switches

Reply to
newshound