Architrave

Suggestions, please, on how to architrave this doorway:

that the doorway to the right, in the final picture, will be architraved conventionally.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I'd use a moulding the thickness of the timber all around, and an extra bit of timber infill on the right (or plaster up the gap). Since its not going to match other doors anyway, I'd probably use some quadrant moulding. Its quite normal to have cut down architrave in these circumstances, but the space for that is a little too small by the looks of it. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

How wide is the opening?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

About 800mm

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

It's too small for arch on the left hand side, and above, yes. I'd thought of using quadrant there, and a strip of arch down the right hand side, but thought this might look a bit odd. I'd also thought about trying to extend the door casing on all three sides, to the front of the recess, and architraving around that, but it's a bit of a faff.

It's the right hand side being different that's causing the head scratching, mainly. If the door casing just fitted sungly into a simple recess, I'd just cover the gap with quadrant all round.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Then I guess all you can do is use a small panel bead. Might look slightly better than the edge of the frame, if only because it'll be mitred

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Another complication I've just realised, is that on the left hand side I either have to end the landing skirting on an outside corner, or turn it into the door recess to meet the door casing. The door casing protrudes by 12mm; my skirting is 20mm wide. I could chamfer the skirting but it'd look crap. Extending the door casing with thin timber and gripfill, to fill the recess, is seeming more like the way I'll need to go. Then I can put architrave on the outside and butt the skirting up to that in the usual way.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster