architectural software

Can anybody recomend any architectural software (preferably freeware) The main use would be to do layouts etc!

Reply to
Stuart

Look for Home Design Architectural Studio from a company called Punch software. It costs around £60. Forget freeware because if software is FOC it'll be crap.

Reply to
PJ

In message , PJ writes

with X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Given this sentende, which is plapably untrue, I would recommend anyone believing the rest of your posting, either.

Reply to
Huge

If you can get hold of a copy of the March 2004 edition of PC Plus Magazine, you'll find a program called Floor Plan 3D on the cover CD (or DVD - depending on which version of the mag). This is getting on for freeware - since you get the full unrestricted version of the program for the price of the mag - 5 or 6 quid.

This enables you to produce 2D layouts and realistic 3D representations of buildings with very little effort. You can add internal units (cupboards, baths, toilets, etc.) and do "Walk-throughs" to visualise what it will look like.

Reply to
Set Square

Hmm, there's an interesting take. Have you been reading MS propaganda recently?

Reply to
Grunff

Not free, but I used Corel Draw to do all my designs.

Not only is it very good at line drawing, but its excellent at color works as well. 3D it doesn't do,

You can get older versions for 50-60 quid on Ebay.

The architect I used tehn used my drawings to develop hand drawin engineering stuff.

Thse days, I wouldn't even use an architect, other than to advise on teh drawings - not to do them.

The most useful thing I bought for teh self-buld was an HP A1 plotter. Expensive at 1000 quid plus, but has paid for itself ten times over.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While the last sentence of the above is not worth discussing such is the depth of its ignorance, the other sentences aren't too bad.

I'm a fairly happy user of Punch's stuff. A few UI quirks, but useful all the same. You get tools to design the furniture etc to get an accurate representation of your design.

Take a look at

Dan Gravell

On 13 Apr 2004 09:58:10 GMT, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) strung together this:

I'm sure there's a perfectly good sentence in there somewhere!

Reply to
Lurch

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:43:21 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "PJ" strung together this:

Obvious knowledge bypass ocurring here. Known as 'IMMing'

Reply to
Lurch

Forget freeware because if software is FOC

I read using the excellent mail, news and browser combo known as Mozilla and it's free.

Nick Brooks

Reply to
Nick Brooks

It was FOC and therefore crap. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Sometimes this is true, more often it is totally false. The pride that individual authors can take in polishing and fixing and enhancing their freeware/shareware/cardware can put the efforts of whole teams in commercial enterprises, where "just about good enough to ship" is often way too good for the accountants, to shame.

Reply to
John Laird

of whole teams in

That be a certain company in Redmond, USA , then ?

Dave

Posting using Pan, on FOC Linux.

Reply to
Dave Stanton

No, just experience. Remember, one usually gets what one pays for and usually nothing more!

Reply to
PJ

It's CRAP (IMO). I bought it and found it absolytely awful. Screen crashes and poor interfacing. I paid £40 for it and ended up binning it.

Reply to
PJ

Oh dear...

Either you have your head stuck somewhere very dark, and have had it there for a long time, or you have chosen to ignore much of what goes on in the software world.

Reply to
Grunff

That'll be why Amazon runs on Linux, will it?

Reply to
Huge

Well, I don't know what is was that you paid £40 for - but the version I'm talking about is FREE apart from the price of the magazine. Whilst you can doubtless pay good money to upgrade it to a later version, the version supplied is perfectly adequate for many purposes.

I used it to model my father-in-law's bungalow, as a basis for planning some modifications - and the resulting 3D views bear comparison with photographs taken from the same angle.

Reply to
Set Square

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:01:34 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "PJ" strung together this:

Hmm, have you been out long? I have some very good software on all my machines, all of it FOC. IPCop, various flavours of Linux, newsreaders and various other freeware and open source apps, all of them very good. Maybe you need to experience some FOC software that works, rather than the crap that you appear to have tried so far. Then there's the p2p approach, free software, like all of the Windows distributions, Office and any other piece of software you care to think of, all of it free. It isn't of any less quality than the exact same piece of software costing hundreds of pounds. Some free software is very good, some bad. Some paid for software is very good, some bad. By definition, FOC software isn't crap.

Reply to
Lurch