arched window lintels

I was going to use an arched lintel and build over it (using soldiers or not) for the arched window in my extension. This of course leaves the lintel showing, which may not look too good. I since heard about brick slip bonded lintels, where you sent them some bricks and they shape and glue on, creating the effect of a real arch. I don't think BCO would be keen on me trying to build a real loadbearing arch since I am a DIYer. I would need a cavity wall arched lintel with built in cavity tray (at least thats whats on my plans). Anyone used these, and is the effect good ? Also, what sort of price would you pay ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Theyre simple to do. Are they BR compliant nowadays? I assume not.

You might be able to use bricks with 4" EML between courses to form effectively a reinforced brick lintel. I've seen this suggested professionally, but not done it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Many years ago my parents house had a pair of RSJs put over an opening for a patio door. The outer one had wire loops welded on allowing it to be mortared and brick "slips" bedded in it (the edge of the RSJ just remains visible in the mortar line of the row of bricks above. They've remained there for decades with no problems.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker