Arch repair tips?

Anyone got any tips for repairing a damaged arch? All the bits are there, I think. So do I go to Wickes or to JigsawPuzzlesDirect?

the King's horses, and all the King's men may be available to help, so labour will not be a problem. There may even be use of a white van, eventually, for transport. They are de rigeur, after all.

Reply to
Squashme

Andy Burns

It was its Arch Enemy...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

its conceptually very simple. You build a wooden form to carry the masonry in the correct shape, and then put the bits back.

Get a heritage bloke to analyse the existing mortar so you can match it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A load of old bollox as usual.

Allow me to introduce Squashme, the village idiot from uk.rec.cycling.

His original post to uk.rec.cycling on this subject was headed "Beware handymen at work" and attempted to blame me for this calamity.

It apparently didn't occur to him that Medway isn't in Scotland and handymen don't hire out marquees.

I appear to be flypaper for freaks. Just because I have an mildly alternative view of cyclists...... :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Rightio mate.

Never occurred to connect an arch in scotland with a man who works in kent.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And since its scone, don't forget to use cream and jam instead of mortar. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

What, "organ donors" you mean?

Reply to
John Rumm

But, but, I'm not trying to take over your mantle here, honest! Still, thanks for the intro. Being amongst strangers can be so daunting the first time.

That's a tad solipsistic of you.

And you so mild-mannered too.

Reply to
Squashme

Nurse, the patient is feeling paranoid again!

Try reading his original urc post again.

Reply to
Medway halfwit

Oh look. What a coincidence. Anothet gmail address.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry, forgot to mention, he uses big words in an attempt to appear intelligent.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Adsum

Reply to
Squashme

Not me, tho' I agree with it. Apparently many people can use GMail. Still you will believe what you wish to believe.

Reply to
Squashme

Yes, it is rather strange that he assumed that nobody here would (or could?) go over to urc to have a look at my idiocy.

Reply to
Squashme

Allow me to introduce TMH, just one more of the trolls from uk.rec.cycling.

Reply to
Medway halfwit

Oh, if there is a way , Historic Scotland will insist on it being used, repairs to Scottt Monument required reopening long closed quarry, extra stone was cut at the time and is stored in base of monument for future repairs.

Tricky one with the arch is the coats of arms that have taken a hit, mebbe some expoxy needed there.

Did alright with Stonehenge and Stennes a good few centuries before, by C16th already being doing Cathedrals for centuries, building is already an international big business by then.

Nothings a small deal with Historic Scotland involved...

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Reminds me of a story I heard recently about one of the Cambridge colleges. They needed a very substantial oak beam to repair the roof. Eventually, by good fortune, they found out that when the college was first built some 3-400 years ago a number of oaks were planted in teh New forest for this very purpose and the Verderers have been nurturing them ever since.

Talk about forward planning!

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Some sort of sign to cover the coat of arms seems to be in order. Maybe something like

ARWadsworth

It doesn't look like it was just a near scrape underneath, no wonder the van came off so badly

Andy Burns