Approximate cost or rewiring a 3bed detached house?

Approximate cost or rewiring a 3bed detached house?

Hi, I know asking this question is like asking how long is a piece of string, as it will depend on the spec of the rewire. However I?m just after a ballpark figure based on a bog standard rewire, nothing fancy. The house has wooden floors (floorboards) & most inside walls are stud partition.

What?s approx. the best & worst price for this type of property.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Telboy Smith

budget between £2000 and £3500 inc vat

Reply to
Reddi-sparks

For a quick calc Between £40 and £60 an item depending on where you live, ie light fitting, switch, double skt etc

Reply to
Dave Jones

Thats about the cost of a total rewire by Midlands Electricty or whatever they are called these days. Also check because MEB don't chase out the walls anymore, they just use mini trunking.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I was quoted £2200 for a 3-bed semi.

MM

Reply to
MM

WHAT????

If you diy????????

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No. However any fool can count sockets and plates and meters of wire and come up with an answer, so one assumes the question is about gettng 'a man in' to do it...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah I was meaning if I got a company to do the job. By the way I live in the north east of England (Newcastle upon Tyne) if this makes a difference to the price

Cheers.

Reply to
Telboy Smith

Ah, right.

I should think it would, compared with, say, London.

I'm glad we live in Leeds!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

skts/lights/switches etc (otherwise they could end up anywhere usually the most convenient place for the sparky and not you!) and then get 3 quotes from approved local companies.

Price's will start shooting up next year when the new regs come in so you better get it done sooner than later.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Oh no - not MORE regs ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why? What's going to cost more on a 'proper' job?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actual extra costs? None, if the sparks is already registered with NICEIC or similar - they'd be writing a small works sistificate anyway. Opportunity to charge more? Definitely present: if the householder wishes to follow the proposed Part P route to the letter, the cost to them of (e.g.) adding a new radial to supply their loft, or freezer-n-fridge, or similar small-n-sensible but beyond the 'small works' threshold, will in future include the 80? quid for a Building Notice inspection (which in practice will be done by a local sparks). Thuz, it becomes sensible commercial practice for the local sparks to up their prices by, say, half of that amount, since the "competition" has just had their prices moved upwards.

You gotta love that nice Mr Prescott...

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba