apprenticeships

Do you realise how difficult it is for young ones to get taken on as an apprentice? The industries are always telling us that new blood is needed but hardly anyone will take any kids on.

In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship. My son Ross has sent off 50 letters (which I paid the stamps for) to various companies for an electrical apprenticeship. How many replies - 3. Two to say thanks for the letter we will keep you on our list blah blah ...

And finally after 5 weeks a letter to go for an interview. 14 boys after 8 jobs.

Bought him a suit, printed off a booklet of tasks undertaken on his pre apprentice electrical training course, tutored him in the possible questions, took him to the interview and after 2 long weeks of waiting, he was offered a job :-)

I've got to say I am pleased as punch, maybe in a few years we will see him contributing to this list.

Anyway, for those whose kids are still trying, keep on sending those letters!!!

Rodders

Reply to
Rodders

| In my day (1970's) I had 4 companies offering me an apprenticeship.

In my days early (1950s), one interview with the best local employer, English Electric, and there was a Student Apprenticeship. :-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I joined the RAF as an apprentice, not everyone's cup of tea, but gave me a good life, even though I left the RAF after the mandatory 12 years. I believe they have restarted their apprenticeship scheme.

Reply to
Broadback

when i went for an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic in 1980 there were 500 going for each place most were cut down by the pretest then the poor managers had to sift through the list for possibles and interview them just wish they had turned me down :-( sorry for the negative but your post brought it all back hope your son does ok and prospers hes still beat the others whatever

Reply to
mindwipe

Rodders, you are witnessning nothing more than the death throes of an Empire.

I joined the RAF as an Apprentice in 1961. The scheme was started in

1922 and finally shut down in 1994-95. Have a quick look at the URL below to see it in its Hay Day.

get him out of Engineering and into some nebulous Admin type job.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

As a 70's apprentice who started with the CEGB before thatcher came to power and one of the many who were then thrown on the scrap heap as she prepared for privatisation in 70-80 at the end of my time I have nothing but hope for the future, skilled people are needed, but as a service industry economy we'll never see skilled people treated with the respect they deserve...

Anyone with an interest in science and technology should also try local universities for modern apprenticeship/trainee technician/craftsman jobs, we've had a few and its interesting work, pays crap, but never boring.

Reply to
Badger

Reply to
Badger

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

In my day (1962) I accepted the offer after my first inteview and cancelled the only other inteview arranged at the time.

Stafford was hardly local to NE Essex but AEI in Manchester was even harder to get to.

My route into engineering and ultimately out of it.

I can't remember an English Electric plant in Yorkshire. They were a good employer until gobbled up by Swinestock. By not getting to AEI I at least avoided his clutches for a few more years.

EEC RIP. :-(

Reply to
Roger

In article , Roger writes

Bradford ?.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

The message from Adrian Simpson contains these words:

That would square with Dave who lives in Bradford but I still can't remember it despite going through the company indoctrination process which emphasised the widespread empire (that disappeared into GEC which is now a tiny remnant in the form of Marconi, once a minor subsidiary).

Reply to
Roger

| In article , Roger | writes | >I can't remember an English Electric plant in Yorkshire. They were a | >good employer until gobbled up by Swinestock. By not getting to AEI I at | >least avoided his clutches for a few more years. | >

| | Bradford ?.

Yes In Thornbury. The site is now a B&Q :-(, with the newest bit a Morrisons :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In article , Roger writes

Looking at the map (and bearing in mind that I haven't been around there for ~25 years), , or somewhere close by on the ring road.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson