Apprentices and charity work

En el artículo , SteveW escribió:

A direct result of their repressive upbringing, no doubt.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Standard simple and unostentatious plans that fit almost anywhere, can be built quickly and cheaply by volunteers; I think they can get a Hall up in about 3 days once the groundworks are done.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No, time span of discretion is more detailed a concept than that. Its about *how far ahead* the consequences of ones actions are thought through.

people with longer TSODs are suitable for higher level management etc.

Cf also 'a week is a long time in politics' :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Balls to you.

Collins GEM English Dictionary vocation n. occupation that someone feels called to; profession or trade. ?vocational adj. directed towards a particular profession or trade.

So it could equally apply to an engine driver. Or astronaut.

It was at one time applied to those who chose a 'noble' job above material reward. But both teachers and doctors are well paid these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - they use their spare periods and lunch breaks etc to do this - instead of moaning with their co-workers ad nauseam about how over-worked they are. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which part of 'all' did you find it impossible to understand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - I'll send my brother. He taught maths for over 30 years. And never once did any school work in the holidays - except when the entire staff was called in for a day (or whatever) just before the end. Nor did he do any work at home. He did run a few extra curriculum activities at some parts of his career - but adding in the time spent of these still didn't add up to working the number of hours per year most in full time work did.

However, he was rather poorly paid for most of his working life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would you like to try that again? I don't understand what you mean.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. I have several teachers in my family and friends and that describes things perfectly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly. School hours are generally 6 per day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

Teachers don't think so; they're planning to go on strike.

Mike Tomlinson

Staff hours aren't. Arrive at 8, lucky to leave by 4. Compulsory staff briefing at 0815.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Perhaps that's the Plowman family work ethic...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which part of my reply did you not understand?

Do you ever get any more than a few words into a thread without wanting to start an argument?

That would be my interpretation of "vocation".

What is the basic pay of a secondary school teacher with say 10 years experience? If it's above about £24k gross they are being paid above the national average.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Monday 09 September 2013 12:31 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

What spare periods? I am not aware of any in a primary school day...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

I think Dave this might have been sometime ago things have changed these days..

Sure there are some lazy sods around but not the ones she knows!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That's still only 7 hours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What it is about the spouses of teachers?

Did it ever occur to you that those who have to spend ages extra to do a job others manage just fine within the allotted hours might just *not* be that good at their job?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. But then, what on earth are you spending ages on preparing for the next day's work? Ie, what is so different from what you used the year before?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)