Apprentices and charity work

Well the new apprentice does charity work. And not any old voluntary charity work - he has paid to take a course to be allowed to do this work.

Does anyone else find this impressive?

Reply to
ARW

On Saturday 07 September 2013 10:11 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Very. A rare find.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, very.

Reply to
John Williamson

JOOI, how long are these guys apprentices and how are they qualified at the end of it? You seem to have a very high turnover.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message , ARW writes

Most impressive.

You sound as though you may actually like this one?

Reply to
Bill

Fully qualified (AM2 passed) if they make it to the end. And the turnover is due to their own makings in most cases.

Three have gone in the last two months. The reasons were - one for refusing to sign or adhere to the mobile phone behaviour contract [1],one for drink driving, and the last one for lying, being lazy and answering back.

[1] We now have a contract due to some of them spending all day texting or facebooking. Basically this says their phones should be left with the electrician they are working with unless otherwise approved. Apprentice said "It's my phone and you cannot take it off me and you cannot make me sign that contract". No, but we can fire you:-). And his precious was more important to him than his job.
Reply to
ARW

I prefer the one that can do funny impressions (both voice and mannerisms) of people just after meeting them. He did one of the headmistress at a school the other day - and halfway through the impression she appeared behind him from a classroom door and watched him. And he must be good because she was amused.

Reply to
ARW

Depends on his reasons and motives I suppose. At face value, very impressive.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

What a nightmare !

Reply to
Andy Cap

Yes. Keep him.

Reply to
Huge

And we will just get another three and start again.

Reply to
ARW

I find it hard to believe that it makes commercial sense to have such a high turnover. It takes time to train them, and even just having to process the payroll for them costs money. Selecting fewer, better ones, and nurturing them more, would make more sense to most organisations.

Reply to
GB

Are you an expert on choosing 16 year olds suitable for the trade?

Reply to
ARW

Sounds a bit dodgy...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Nope. Does your firm take all comers? If the firm is actually selecting the ones you moan about, maybe you should alter the selection process. Or motivate them more in some way?

Reply to
GB

Who interviews these kids?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It might be that these lads have heard how much a qualified sparky earns and get a shock (no pun) when they realise how much work (and how little pay) it takes to get there, get bored or disillusioned and can't be arsed. You can't tell most 16-year-olds that if they dedicate themselves & put up with the shit now, they'll be laughing at the end of it, most of them can't even see past lunchtime.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Jamie Oliver was recently saying it's very difficult to find students with a suitable work ethic.

What sort of interview or vetting do you do before you accept them? What sort of qualifications do they need before they start?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Bill writes

An apprentice who joined in my year turned out to be a member of the Plymouth Brethren. He wasn't allowed to do anything *worldly*. Someone didn't ask enough questions.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Have you heard the impressionists impression of yourself yet Adam? Remember to smile.

Reply to
misterroy