Apprentice managed to lose a days pay

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Are you allowed to dock pay below minimum wage?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's important that he does lose a day's pay. They don't learn anything otherwise

Reply to
stuart noble

We will soon rue the day we get too attached to these mobile hi tech mobile phones, next generation will have tracking systems that can have the information recalled without you knowing, they will be able to send back pictures, they will record your conversations etc etc. The taxman will catch you out, the benefit scammers will be caught and the self employed will be justifying every street they have been recorded in to the tax man. I will just go on using my 10 year old mobile with the added benefit that if I leave it lying around most yobs would be too embarressed to steal it.

Reply to
ss

Work is the drink of the cursing classes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The next generation? They do that now.

Reply to
Huge

The capabilities exist in every GSM phone... there are companies that manufacture the kit to control them at a low enough level remotely as well. Hence they can be instructed to enable the mic and transmit!

Same tech works with them as well. On phones without GSM the positional accuracy is not spot on, but it gives a general location.

Pulling the battery is the only sure way, but even that discloses the information that you possibly don't want to be tracked at a particular time ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The smarter apprentices are required to keep their mobiles with them. They are required to take works calls.

Reply to
ARW

In message

, Sim>> >>> >>>> Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

There's more to a decent camera than megapixels

Reply to
bert

That is just rubbish, you can't remotely control a normal phone without someone installing software to do it.

Well he isn't going to be using non GSM phones anywhere around here.

Pulling the battery does not. However GSM phones are frequently doing what is necessary to allow them to be tracked even when no call is made.

Reply to
dennis

Poor quality, you mean. The optics is unavoidably going to be crap.

Eneloop batteries of similar.

Yes, I really regret not having a camera in my pocket at all times, for those bank robberies, car crashes, flying saucers, and other similar things that happen to me on a daily basis.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Odd, still it makes me wonder what my erstwhile colleague has been doing for all those years since he went to work for an outfit that produce this kind of kit for spooks and law enforcement etc.

Note that this is not the same as hacking or listening on in normal GSM calls (although even that has been hacked now[1]) - this is basically just using network primitives normally used for controlling the hardware during call handling.

[1]
the comment at the end)

A phone vanishing from a network at a certain time and location does disclose information potentially of interest. i.e. that (failing the battery simply running flat) one does not what to be "visible" for a period. Not much value on its own, but potentially interesting when combined with other sources of intelligence.

Unless unpowered - see above.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's true ... but... the best camera in the world is the one you have with you.

My 'phone will take 2MP pictures that are good enough to stick on a screen. Provided the light is good and I don't want to zoom that is.

I used it yesterday to take a video of a rather wet road.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes.

But that is not the same thing as "is legal to do so" is it?

Reply to
ARW

Yep. I've found I've taken more photos I like and keep since I got a smart phone with a decent camera than I ever did before. It takes under five seconds from deciding I want to take a photo to having the photo taken, assuming my phone is in my pocket. If its in my hand, that goes down to

2-3 seconds. The quality is good enough to print out at A3 quality, not had the need to print any bigger but I'd imagine it could get to A1 and still be ok.
Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Might be worth looking at. Modern camera phone. Not everyone needs a £15,000 level camera, and for those of us that only need good quality photographs, a smart phone is more than enough.

Ok, so her limiting herself to a camera that takes AA or similar batteries, taking a lot of cameras on the market out of the question.

For those of us with friends and family that we enjoy time with, and want photos to remember that (say my four year old niece opening her Christmas presents), the ability to take photographs is quite useful.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Like flash, reasonable optics, ability to take a fair photo in low light conditions, ability to automatically backup my photos the moment I get in range of a wifi network I've connected the camera to in the past, large memory to take many photos, ability to take panorama photographs, ability to record HD video that is good envy to watch on a large TV? My iPhone 5 ticks all those boxes.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Who's talking about fifteen grand? You can get an excellent DSLR or mirrorless for 400-500 or so. With a proper lens, not a pinhole.

If you know that's what she's gonna do, you can be ready.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As near as dammit as good as HD telly then.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agreed but dennis isn't the brightest of the posters in here though.

Abscence of information could be far more useful than the precense of information. Turning off your phone when "up to no good" is probably not wise, particulary if your phone is normally on. Better to leave it some where then collect afterwards but then it would be static which is also an indication... Maybe give it to someone else to carry about for a while but you'd need to know where they went and at what times in case you were questioned.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice