Apprentice buggers up making the tea

I have spent the week rewiring a school and the apprentices first job (from another firm, not my apprentice) at 7am is to make tea for everyone.

This morning we had run out of tea bags so he used his initiative and had a scrounge through the staffroom cuboards and found some tea leaves. He used one teaspoon per cup added HW and milk etc and then handed them out.

When the first electrician choked on the tea leaves and gave the apprentice some abuse the apprentice replied "well it's not my fault that the granules would not dissolve is it?".

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sounds very enterprising, just needs a bit wider education in the tea-making profession - which he now no doubt has got !

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

So why didn't they dissolve then :-)

Reply to
dave

If you have an apprentice to make it and pour it (through a strainer), why not just use leaves anyway? Cheaper, and usually better tea too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

One of our technicians many, many years ago used to be in submarines. Apparently a standard job given to newcomers was to make up the chocolate drink for the watch which involved much manual grating of a solid block, and adding cold water. They would then be told to put it under a spout to heat it with steam, except that they would be given a vacuum line so that when they opened the tap, the whole lot got sucked up in an instant.

Reply to
Newshound

Ha ha!

I can't shake the habit of leaving the last mouthful of a mug of tea - even when made with bags - because my grandparents used leaves and they were spectacularly bad at pouring the tea through the strainer rather than around it :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Handing out something unpalatable is definitely his fault, so there's no get out. An employee ought to ask their supervisor for advice in such a situation.

Reply to
NT

I educated him. Remember, this is a school staff room and I explained that he needed to look again in the cupboards for biscuits etc and he should serve them with the tea at the 10.30 tea break. At 10.30 we (there were 7 of us) demolished a large tin of very nice Belgian chocholate biscuits that he found in the cupboard along with proper cup of tea.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We don't usually have access to a kitchen, teapot etc.

I did praise the apprentice for using the dishwasher in the staffroom to wash the 7 cups instead of using the sink and wasting his time.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or Health n Safety maybe.

Reply to
dave

7 - 10.30 am? That's 3.5 hours without tea?

I'd need a wee swally no later than 9am on that schedule.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If there was a riot going on at the time, you could get 20 months for that.

Reply to
GB

You thieving gits! hope you left some money in the tin!

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

In message , Halmyre writes

Having a wife who is a teacher may I suggest that you ask yourself why the biscuits were still there? Teachers, especially female ones rarely leave choccy biscuits laying around unless there is good reason. What sort of school is it? Could some mischievous inmate have doctored them before giving them to miss as a gift? Or worse..........

Hope you have a good weekend.

Reply to
Bill

I was fortunate enough to be working in a Brewery in my late teens. At one point a young poshly spoken chap arrived for what we would now call work experience. It transpired that he was from a well known family in the Brewing Industry and it was intended he would continue in the family tradition. We asked him to make the tea. Sheepishly he asked " how do you make tea?" We were a bit gobsmacked and various comments like if you can't brew effing tea how the f*ck are you going to brew beer were uttered. In his background of nanny, servants and boarding schools he had never had to make one. Only stayed about a week and was seen shortly after working as a Scaffolder. Probably ended up as an investment banker or something.

As for Health and Safety when it was first formally introduced at the place a worker stood up and spoke along the lines" It's all very well stopping the beer allowance because we are driving forklifts but can't Health and safety do something about the Canteen food because we are at more risk of death from that.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

And a tea to rinse it down with ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Probably took longer than 7 quick rinses under the tap, and destroyed all the tannin too :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

When one of my lads first went to Uni about ten years ago, one of the others in the flat offered to make tea after they had just got settled in. This turned out to be completely undrinkable because....he'd never made a pot of tea before. And this was a lad from an ordinary, not a privileged, background. As it turned out, our boy (out of the eight) was just about the only one who actually knew how to wash dishes, use a washing machine, cook beans on toast, or make a bacon sandwich.

Reply to
Newshound

Were all the others in care or something - that they'd not watched their mum do such things?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)