Applying vinyl tiles to a not-brilliantly screeded conctrete floor..

I've got a screeded concrete floor that I want to cover with vinyl tiles. The screed is probably too rough for self-adhesive tiles to stay stuck to - unless I apply a spreadabale adhesive first.

That would be one option. The other option might be to skim the floor with something to make it very smooth, and then lay self-adhesive tiles. What should I use for the skim? I'm thinking neat portland cement, applied with steel plastering trowel.

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

self levelling compound.

Reply to
charles

+1
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

A couple of mm of self levelling compound would seem like the ideal option.

If you want a cheap option, the Wicks latex one is not bad. If you want a top end solution Mr. Watts will be along to extol the virtue of the F & B products shortly ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

F Ball Stopgap 300 is what I used and it really does (mostly) slef level as long as you push it about first so it wets everything.

You need the green primer first which helps prevent water getting sucked out too.

Tim Watts

+2
Reply to
harry

If it's just that the surface is a bit rough, ordinary interior filler will do. The guy that laid our vinyl said he uses it all the time for

*minor* imperfections and smoothing. Don't want to splash out for 25 kgs if it isn't necessary
Reply to
stuart noble

stuart noble wrote in news:AM_Cs.430042 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx18.am:

Yes, I wondered about filler. U thought about filler, but then I thought that cement would be more likely to stay put. Neat cement does spread beautifully smoothly, I seem to recall. (And I just happen to have a bag of it waiting to be used up.)

I'm sure the self-levelling stuff would work too (at a price). I don't have a Wickes near by, unfortunately, although B&Q has it at £10 per 2sq m.

Thanks to all. Al

Reply to
AL_n

Did that :) Eternal September might be a bit laggy.

If the surface is friable, another good trick is to coat it in:

dilute SBR - that will stabilise almost anything and penetrate well and will not be affected by any damp. And the vinyl adhesive will stick to it like shit to a blanket.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You could also machine grind or polish concrete.

Reply to
F Murtz

Ah but cement won't stay put in thin layers :) Fillers will. BTW the stuff they sell in a tube goes off in no time and spreads well.

stuart noble

Neat cement sets too brittle for this purpose, self levelling compound contains fine sand, latex and other additives to prevent this

Just mix it like piss and pour it on, give it a wipe over with a trowel and after it's dried, lay your tiles

Reply to
Phil L