Applying solar film

I have got some solar film top apply to a couple of internal windows at Church (actually to obscure them when we build some noticeboards behind them - if you see what I mean).

The glass merchant said to cut it a bit large, wash the window well will soapy water and apply with it still wet - using a squeegee to smooth it out and squeeze out the water. Then trim the edges with a sharp blade.

Any experts like to give extra advice/guidance?

Reply to
John

Pretty much covers it. Make sure the glass is **absolutely** clean before applying it.

You might find it useful to also spray the adhesive side of the film with soapy water (no more than 1 or 2 drops of fairy in a spray bottle). If you do happen to get some bubbles in the middle of the film and you can't get rid of them use the tip of a stanley knife to prick them and then push the water out with your thumb nail.

Reply to
shaun

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jbaassoc.demon.co.uk:

Whatever you do, do NOT lay the film down on a dusty surface ! It will pick up every last little bit of dust.

Terry W.

Reply to
Terry W.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John saying something like:

I find the film shrinks slightly after trimming, so trim slightly oversize if there's room to do so.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm a bit bemused as to why you are doing this at all. Won't the noticeboard obscure the window anyway? If you don't want people to see the wood, paint the back of the board or put a coloured background on it. I really don't see how blanking off the panes really helps apart from causing hassle if you ever move the board.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

In article , Paul Andrews writes

There is a part glazed partition between the Church and the vestibule. One of the panes will be obscured by a new cupboard - but the back of the wood will not be pretty (should say isn't!) and another will be covered by a noticeboard.

I thought it would be nicer to provide a "mirrored" finish to the two panes rather than having something less elegant behind them - yes I could have probably blanked them out with a suitable board, but wanted the glass effect to run all the way across.

Reply to
John

Perhaps putting a mirror sheet on the back of the board would have done the same?

The only reason I'm suggesting this is that one day you might want the board to go somewhere else and you'll still be left with stuff stuck to the window...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews