Application for creating wiring diagram?

I've used Google SketchUp for 3-D drawings but does any one know of some other freebie application that is handy for doing wiring diagrams?

VT

Reply to
Vet Tech

I assume you mean electrical diagrams, rather than circuit diagrams, but you can still use any free electronic CAD tool such as Eagle

and create your own symbols.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I've been using Inkscape for this, for want of a better tool.

Disadvantages: - it's difficult to constrain lines to vertical/horizontal so when you tweak things they always end up at a slight angle to true - no electrical symbol library available, AFAIK - no dimensions/measurement tool

I didn't find Sketchup to be much use either, though.

I'd love to see an example electrical plan to crib off.

Reply to
Jim

I've never found an easy/intuitive one - so continue just using Draw on my Acorn with my own library of symbols. But then I don't do anything like this that is terribly complicated.

Here's an example converted to a jpg - so nowhere near the quality of the original vector diagram.

Dave Plowman (News)

If you're designing a printed circuit board, it's usual to use a schematic capture program. However, these can be less than useful if you have a more general requirement to draw (and in particular annotate) a schematic.

I use AutoCad for schematic drawing/wiring diagrams. Obviously, this is expensive, so you have alternatives.

Two are TurboCad and Progecad.

TurboCad is cheap and well liked by many people.

Progecad is kind-of an open-source clone of AutoCad and you can download a free copy of the 2006 version here:

be aware that it's a

48MB download.

HTH

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Always use gif for line art. Jpg for photos.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What sort of electrical plan did you have in mind?

A schematic drawing showing the schema of an installation or an architectural drawing showing layout?

I might be able to dig out some examples.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Didn't know it accepted gif.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually, both would be useful, if it's not too much trouble.

We're trying to spec out a complete rewire for a house and knowing the conventions for showing sockets, light switches, etc and routing of cables would be useful - currently I'm having to make up my own symbology which is hardly a good idea!

Reply to
Jim

it would be better converted to a gif as its only 2 colours it would be a very small filesize

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

When i've learnt it i will use blender for 3d

then I use paint (and gimp if necessary) but first i sketch it on squared paper with lots of colours- much easier to see what's what where lines cross and when it's computerised you can select a colour and hey presto!

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

It's really unfortunate that development of Inkscape seems to have stalled these last few years - it was looking like an extremely good tool, but then all work seemed to stop; I don't know if the [community of] developers got bored, if there was an alternate tool* that everyone started using, or if the code was just such a mess that nobody could work on it any more.

  • if so, I'd like to know what. Inkscape's very good for what it does, but it was just never "quite there yet" feature-wise.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

If you look at their roadmap they are planning to implement "Tech drawing abilities" in v0.52 but it's a way in the future yet.

Jim

No-one's mentioned Spice yet, some versions of it are free. Its been a while since I used it, so no promises re how it performs compared to the other options.

NT

Reply to
NT

things are) for each milestone - if it's a few months or a year away, fair enough. If it's going to take them ten years to get there, I suspect it'll be too late and things will have moved on.

I need to upgrade (I use 0.46 a lot and see that 0.47 is out) - the one things that would be *really* useful is a convenient way of measuring distances, and I suppose there's a chance that some sort of tape measure tool's crept in there already (I know it was on the to-do list, but can't remember when they thought it'd be done).

Of course some way of entering values (rather than relying on the mouse-driven UI) would be extremely helpful, too - but I suspect that's quite a way off (probably with the 0.52 release you reference)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Does photobucket allow .gif uploads?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

No.

Use PNG if you must use bitmap - it will do both photos and line drawings with minimal artefacts. Or use SVG for vector, or EPSF/PDF if you feel you must.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It does, actually.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Of those, only PNG is suitable in this case.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Some versions of MS Office include Visio - which would almost certainly do it. Not a freebie as such, but if you happen to have access to it . . .

Reply to
Roger Mills